GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan clutch is Hx

Ahh... okay then... just keep an eye on it until you replace it.. It is likely that your fan clutch is working halfway... aux fan can't do all the work.

Tiger, you must be right about it working halfway. Tuesday was 98 degrees and it stayed on normal, even at the traffic lights. I guess it only spins down to a stop in the garage.

I did notice something strange when I replaced it though...the picture in Bentley and on realoem show the fan blades installed between the clutch and the engine. I noticed that the blades were in front of the clutch when I removed it and thought the mechanic who changed the fan had installed it wrong. But when I put the new blades behind the clutch, I found that the fan hit both the brake vacuum lines and the intake duct. When I put the blades on the front of the clutch, it still did. I pulled the vacuum lines out of their channels and zip tied them to pull them back, and loosened the bolts on the air filter housing and moved it back as far as it would go. The fan still hit the duct but after seven hours of messing with it I said to hell with it and went to sleep for the three remaining hours before I had to get ready for work. It settled in by the time I got to work (11 miles down I40, usually at 80-90mph).

Tonight I had time to raise the hood and check to make sure it was completely clearing the duct and I see coolant all over the engine compartment. Although I had not noticed it, it was also hitting the top left radiator hose and had worn a pinhole through that. The fan blade came from Bell BMW and I checked and Autohaus sent the correct Sachs clutch (2100 010 032). What gives? Which side does it really go on and why is it hitting other components if installed as pictured? Since Bentley covers all 4 engines, I assumed it pictured something other than the M60, but when I saw the drawing on realoem for the 540, I have to wonder. It barely clears the air duct with the blades installed in front of the clutch.
    Last edited by zhandax; 08-08-2009 at 05:27 AM.
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

Engine and possibly tranny mounts collapsed that brings your fan into odd angle.

Radiator hose can always tilted to a different angle just by loosening the hose and turn it in the direction you needs it to be. On our car, the upper hose need to be zip tied away from the fan... factory had something there but most likely to be snapped off by now.

Are you sure your waterpump in good shape? No wobble as you try by the fan clutch?

Water pump is a year or two old and no wobble here. I thought I had left the fan installed in front of the clutch but now see that I have it installed behind as in every drawing available for it. (changed it so many times and was so tired by end its hard to remember) The fan was hitting just behind the second bend from the rad where the hose is trapped by the oil filter...no where to go. I may try it in front of the clutch again. I found a repair kit (a 1.75" double-ended hose barb with two clamps) and that put the appropriate amount of space where it was needed. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone rather than order a replacement (of course no one in town had a replacement on Saturday).
    The stone age didn't end for a lack of stones. Neither will the hydrocarbon age......

The fan unquestionably has to be mounted on the front of the clutch. In fact, I could just barely get a 1/4" thick 32mm bicycle wrench on it to remove it with it mounted behind, which now that I think about it, is why I gave up (along with lack 'o sleep). Think I will go ahead and replace the hose since the two new joints at the splice are two new potential leaks. There is probably a minor constriction in diameter to reduce flow as well. Seems like it will hold for a few days, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12