Fellow enthusiasts,

Several weeks ago while driving up I24 my 1990 525i E34 sprung a coolant leak. Before I could get it safely off the road it overheated... thoroughly. I replaced the water pump, the thermostat, the coolant level sensor, and a coolant temperature sensor right after the incident. I thought that would cure all my woes but alas... I have been experiencing hard starts and hesitation (intermittent loss of power) ever since that fateful day. Here are my current driving observations:

1. Performance can be influenced by the amount of gas in the tank, steep incline, and how forcefully I stomp the accelerator.

2. It seems to run better when it has been running as opposed to sitting overnight in the garage.

3. It will occasionally throw code 1222 while falling on its face in traffic.

This behavior is similar to what I've experienced before when a fuel pump is dying, but despite my patience just hasn't happened after six weeks of daily driving. After giving it some more thought, a dying fuel pump should be coincidence correct? The overheating was up top and away from the fuel pump. At the risk of spawning a red herring, are there any fuel delivery devices in engine proximity that can be damaged by high heat? Are there any devices (emission, electronic, or otherwise) that could be damaged by high heat and result in the above symptoms?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Zach in Nashville