GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steaming the headliner

Default Steaming the headliner

Any one tried steaming the headliner to reactivate the glue? I tried this fix today and it did not work. . Looks like I will be replacing my headliner...bummer.

I have a tan one that was redone by a pro. I have gray in both my cars so I don't need it. You can have it for my cost of 100 Ken. Problem is Dayton is a ways away from here.

Thanks Denny but this headliner is in my son's 7 and it is gray also. I have found this headliner provider on line wonder if they are any good?

www.wlsheadliners.com

Looks like I could do the job myself for about $75

Ken

I think the key is having a good system to put down the contact cement. If you don't have a good spray application you risk cement build up or lack of coverage in creases and valleys. I watched the guy apply it didn't look hard. But pros make it look easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post
    Thanks Denny but this headliner is in my son's 7 and it is gray also. I have found this headliner provider on line wonder if they are any good?

www.wlsheadliners.com

Looks like I could do the job myself for about $75

Ken
    I've emailed back and forth with the WLS crew and they seem to be a nice outfit. Haven't bought the material yet, but they do have the thin 1/8" stuff that we need. Maybe next month I'll finally break down and order what I need.

Steaming it won't do anything good. The headliner sags because a layer of foam between the fabric and glue deteriorates.
    Steaming it could make it worse or shrink the faric enough to prevent glueing it back.
    3M sells and aerosol "headliner adhesive". I haven't used it but typically things from those boys in Minnesota is good stuff. I would be afraid of wrinkles, but if it sags bad you don't have much to lose.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I used a stapler to tack mine up, almost invisible repair if you dont look at it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Just make sure the WLS headlinber has the correct thickness, U.S. cars have thicker headliners. If you use thicker headliner than the European incl. BMW use, then you will have probs especially when you have a sunroof, as that material will touch when opening and closing, also the edges are a bit more difficult to handle.
    The rest is easy, have done more than 10 headliners so far. First one took us maybe 10 hours, now 4 hours including the version with sunroof, pics
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/headliner.html

Yeah years ago I worked for a company that covered vinyl cases. We used 55 gallon barrels of this stuff. We sprayed it on the vinyl and on the case, once you put them together only napalm would separate them.

WLS sales a BMW kit, looks like they have the correct thickness. I will take pics as I go , because I know you are going to ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast