GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riddle me this???????

Default Riddle me this???????

Ok guys here is a real teaser

With the power mirror on the left side selected with the mirror adjustment switch and the engine running, when I move the automatic transmission gear-shift from reverse to neutral the right power mirror goes down. When I move the gear-shift from neutral to reverse the mirror goes up. What the heck is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe View Post

With the power mirror on the left side selected with the mirror adjustment switch and the engine running, when I move the automatic transmission gear-shift from reverse to neutral the right power mirror goes down. When I move the gear-shift from neutral to reverse the mirror goes up. What the heck is going on?
    On my E39 & E53 the opposite happens - the passenger side mirror goes down in reverse when driver's mirror selected but not when passenger mirror selected. This is presumably to assist in reverse parking etc.

Sounds like you've got some wires crossed if it is doing the opposite. Possibly your gear lever is slightly out of adjustment and is telling your mirrors the wrong information about which gear you are in ?

BTW, is this your E34 (I have never had this function on either of my E34s) or your 7 series (E38?) ?
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 07-03-2009 at 09:31 PM.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

No this is my son's 91 735i e32. I bet your bimmer is a right side driver mine is a USA left side driver. So they are working the same.
    Last edited by Kibokojoe; 07-03-2009 at 09:41 PM.

thats all jacked up, from neut to rev the drivers should go down... connections are reversed and switched from each side... if even possible time to look at where the things plug in and obviously someone blindly plugged them in without knowing. Probably some cleaning or repair.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Does the gear indicator on the dashboard light up reliably? Your selector switch could be dirty/worn and that will cause some erratic behavior from the indicator light and possibly the mirror. Its not that hard to pull it out and clean it out.

No this is my son's 91 735i e32. I bet your bimmer is a right side driver mine is a USA left side driver. So they are working the same.
    Same difference - passenger or driver is what I said, not left or right. BMW know which is which.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz View Post
    BTW, is this your E34 (I have never had this function on either of my E34s) or your 7 series (E38?) ?
    Only E34's with memory seats had this function. And very few E34's had memory seats. Quite happy that the M-Sport's were equipped with them.
    Cosmos Black/Black 1995 540iA M-Sport
    BMW Individual Exclusive Edition, 1 of 65 total, 9/25/95 Build

That is how it supposed to work. For backing, so you can see the neighbor's rug rat on the tricycle you'd like to squish anyway.
    Edit
    Ooops, should go down when reverse is selected. That kid better look out.
    Last edited by Ross; 07-04-2009 at 04:47 PM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

can you retrofit this?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15 View Post
    can you retrofit this?
    Why would you want to? How do BMW know how tall I am, how far forward my seat is, how high I have got it and if I'm tired. Anybody that fiddled with my mirrors while I'm reversing would get a slap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast