GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't make this up: taking odds on liklihood of engine destruction

Default Can't make this up: taking odds on liklihood of engine destruction

The story goes: Valve cover leak->busted valve cover stud->busted Easy Out->LOTS of grinding with a carbide dremel bit->Helicoil+JB Weld->New Stud in hole...

I'm standing there trying to figure out how much of the stud should go into the hole, so I decided to compare it to one of the other studs already in place. I removed the carefully placed plastic wrap and masking tape that I'd put there to keep metal chips out. (See? I'm very cautious)

That exposes the front valve cover stud. I placed the new stud next to the other one to compare it to the exposed height and...dropped an M6x40 stud right down along the timing chain.

I know oil pump bolts back out all the time and collect in the oil pan. No harm seems to come of it. Lets now imagine what would happen to the aforementioned stud on its way down the timing chain casing....

Do I disassemble the front of the engine or just pray to god it made its way down to the oil pan? What would you do?

Update: I had some rye whiskey on the rocks, which helped me think very clearly and remember the powers of magnetism. I used a big frickin' 1" neodymium magnet disk to slide the stud up along the passenger side of the oil pan, near the intersection with the block. Got it about half way along there heading towards the subframe and the magnet lost it.

Is it safe there? Maybe I can find it and continue working it towards the drain plug...
    Last edited by paanta; 03-26-2009 at 09:10 PM.

maybe if you can work it below an oil drainback you can use one of them little magnets on a stick? (looks like an antenna)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Had you instead the wisdom imbued from a fine blended Canadian whisky you may have left said magnet in place on the oilpan hence retaining the wayward stud.
    OR If it's in the pan you might try one of those magnets on a telescoping shaft to manuever it out.
    Last edited by Ross; 03-27-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default Man, that sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by paanta View Post
    The story goes: Valve cover leak->busted valve cover stud->busted Easy Out->LOTS of grinding with a carbide dremel bit->Helicoil+JB Weld->New Stud in hole...

I'm standing there trying to figure out how much of the stud should go into the hole, so I decided to compare it to one of the other studs already in place. I removed the carefully placed plastic wrap and masking tape that I'd put there to keep metal chips out. (See? I'm very cautious)

That exposes the front valve cover stud. I placed the new stud next to the other one to compare it to the exposed height and...dropped an M6x40 stud right down along the timing chain.

I know oil pump bolts back out all the time and collect in the oil pan. No harm seems to come of it. Lets now imagine what would happen to the aforementioned stud on its way down the timing chain casing....

Do I disassemble the front of the engine or just pray to god it made its way down to the oil pan? What would you do?

That's a bit of a nightmare senario. I have two broken studs on my valve cover, but I'm going to let the shop fix them when I take her in next week.

I did something similar when I was changing the plugs, and dropped a nut into the #5 cylinder. After about an hour, I managed to retrieve it with a flexible claw-type tool. I've got the magenet on a antena retrieval tool also, and it has saved my butt a dozen times.

If I were you, I would get a professional mechanic involved.

JD

What's a professional mechanic?

I thought about just leaving the magnet there, but it's an expensive magnet. If I can't work it out farther with my big magnet, I may try removing the oil level sender and the drain plug and then just blowing compressed air up in there to see if I can work it out. Anything to avoid renting an engine hoist and dropping the oil pan. The magnet on a stick is a bit to big to fit in there, sadly.

Might be a good excuse to get one of those fancy fiber optic cameras, though.

I don't know what deity I've offended (probably most of them), but I'm starting to feel like maybe I've been cursed. The number of 15 minute jobs that have snowballed into 4 hour jobs is staggering.

What's a professional mechanic?

I don't know what deity I've offended (probably most of them), but I'm starting to feel like maybe I've been cursed. The number of 15 minute jobs that have snowballed into 4 hour jobs is staggering.
    don't worry you are not alone

you got to pray the BMW Gods. it helps you know.

At this point I'm considering animal sacrifice. Do they like burnt lamb?

Update: I had some rye whiskey on the rocks, which helped me think very clearly and remember the powers of magnetism. I used a big frickin' 1" neodymium magnet disk to slide the stud up along the passenger side of the oil pan, near the intersection with the block. Got it about half way along there heading towards the subframe and the magnet lost it.

Is it safe there? Maybe I can find it and continue working it towards the drain plug...
    I recommend this:
    http://www.bellswhisky.co.za/GuestLogin.aspx
    But it doesnt enable me to see through the oil pan. How did you know you had snagged the bolt? I'm curious and impressed

At this point I'm considering animal sacrifice. Do they like burnt lamb?
    why not taking out the oil, jacking up the car and remove the oil sump? wouldn't you find the inside?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast