GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really, REALLY tempted on Miller MAF conversion...

Default Really, REALLY tempted on Miller MAF conversion...

At the current price it seems like I'd be a fool not to get one! I emailed over a couple of things that were worrying me but they haven't got back to me yet- 1: Whether the chip they supply will be suitable for my Euro spec car without a CAT. And 2: What the score is on import tax to the UK as I don't want to be hit with a massive bill once it gets here!

Anyone know more?!

Also, it says on their site they now have a connector to save splicing the wires but you still need to create a 12v power supply - Is this difficult to do? Could I do this myself without too much addition cost?

Please excuse my ignorance, I know less than nothing about electronics.
    Last edited by e34.535i.sport; 02-24-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    At the current price it seems like I'd be a fool not to get one! I emailed over a couple of things that were worrying me but they haven't got mack to me yet- 1: Whether the chip they supply will be suitable for my Euro spec car without a CAT. And 2: What the score is on import tax to the UK as I don't want to be hit with a massive bill once it gets here!

Anyone know more?!

Also, it says on their site they now have a connector to save splicing the wires but you still need to create a 12v power supply - Is this difficult to do? Could I do this myself without too much addition cost?

Please excuse my ignorance, I know less than nothing about electronics.
    You can find out the rate of duty from HMC&E on 01702 366077 but you need the long 'tariff number' from the supplier. (Everything has a unique number so customs around the world know what it is and what to charge.)
    If the delivered value is £100 and rate of duty is 5% you of course pay £5 duty. But VAT is calculated on the value PLUS the duty ie £105 x 15%.
    Somebody will have to put the paperwork into customs and you will get a charge for that too. I think the post office is only about £8 but check anyway. In practise, if its just sent in the post it will probably arrive at your door without any charges or hassle at all.
    If your battery is under the bonnet, you could simply run a wire direct from the + terminal and protect it with an inline fuse. Not elegant but very quick and easy
    Edit: something like this should do the trick:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-12V-3-5-12...1%7C240%3A1318
    Last edited by whiskychaser; 02-24-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    If your battery is under the bonnet you could...
    And if it's not?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by e34.535i.sport View Post
    And if it's not?!!!!
    IIRC your inlet manifold is above your starter. So you could take a live off the solenoid + terminal. You want the one where the big chunky cable from the battery connects. Of course you could tap into your fuse box but I'm just trying to keep it simple

I just installed Miller Maf and can tell you this was the best investment ever. I've got a myself a completely different, more responsive, faster car and AVG 20mpg economy now.
    Couldn't be any happier. I installed a CAI with straight pipe and K&N generic filter. It was easy since it's a direct mount to a gen III MAF now, no adapters needed.

Quote Originally Posted by nariusb View Post
    I just installed Miller Maf and can tell you this was the best investment ever. I've got a myself a completely different, more responsive, faster car and AVG 20mpg economy now.
    Couldn't be any happier. I installed a CAI with straight pipe and K&N generic filter. It was easy since it's a direct mount to a gen III MAF now, no adapters needed.
    Can you post a photo of your new setup? What was your fuel consumption like before the upgrade?

why not just go with a ready made megasquirt setup with map sensor and tune yourself on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss View Post
    why not just go with a ready made megasquirt setup with map sensor and tune yourself on the road.
    To be honest I don't know much at all about this megasquirt business... I've heard a few people mention it on the board but never looked into it. Any info greatly appreciated!

Haven't heard back from Miller yet... It's been a while too.

Default maf

The megasquirt would be a lot more complicated and expensive to install for me. This maf setup was easy to install, and very effective. Can't go wrong.
    My millage before was around 17mpg.
    The pic shows generation III Miller Maf, it's a very much simplified setup, plug and play, only had to solder power to MAF. Since I didn't reuse factory air box I didn't need to purchase $45 adapter.
    My setup is not the prettiest but it works. I'll fabricate the custom heat shield before summer, though it shouldn't get much heat in that spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nariusb; 03-02-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: pic edit

Quote Originally Posted by nariusb View Post
    The megasquirt would be a lot more complicated and expensive to install for me. This maf setup was easy to install, and very effective. Can't go wrong.
    My millage before was around 17mpg.
    The pic shows generation III Miller Maf, it's a very much simplified setup, plug and play, only had to solder power to MAF. Since I didn't reuse factory air box I didn't need to purchase $45 adapter.
    My setup is not the prettiest but it works. I'll fabricate the custom heat shield before summer, though it shouldn't get much heat in that spot.
    With a little tidying up of the cai it should be great. Thanks for the info, its some good food for thought. I think I'm going to go with the gen 3 option in a few weeks. I'm not a big fan of map units, so I think megasquirt is off the shortlist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast