GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crankshaft Speed Sensor need help

Does your car have the 'stomp test' cluster? That might throw up some diagnostic error codes for you. Just search on here for 'stomp test' and all will be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by joedir1 View Post
    I only have been able to get power to the pump when I use the bypass tool with toggle switch. Click switch on and I hear E-box fan, and pump sends out fuel. ( I saw it as I unhooked fuel line from pump) So as Shaun M said above, no crank signal, no message to DME to power up? I have replace a few sensors now and am willing to replace this one too, just trying to be more sure. Appreciate the commets....thanks ahed of time to all.
    Of course you can leave the fuel pump relay jumper in and see if it starts. The relay needs to receive a switching voltage so if you are not getting that when cranking I'd certainly be looking at the CPS as has already been stated. Particularly as I dont recall you saying you were getting a spark

I am not sure if my car has the stomp test cluster, but I am charging battery right now so I can try it later tonight. I will have to read up on how to check for spark. If it is pulling out a plug and setting it on ground and turing over the car, I think we can handle that. I also found the 1994 E34 electrical trouble shooting manual and will start to sift thru the pages to figure out what no power to fuel pump relay. I was thinking about trying to start the car with the toggle, but did not want to damage anything. thanks for the comments from both of you......I really appreciate it.

you say you need to charge the battery... the car will not start with a low battery even though it may crank. Battery should be fully charged first. If the fuel pump is working it should hold pressure and start but only run a short time. As stated above use the jumper for the pump to see if it starts.

No deal in laying the plug on its side to check spark on these babys, need to pull a coil pack and ground it then lay the plug on something...bit of a chore.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

thanks. I am going to try to start from bypass tool after the I fully charge the battery.
    I also found stomp test instructions and will try that to see if the crankshaft positon sensor fault shows up. really appreciate the comments. cant give up on it...very scared to tow it to the dealer.

tried stomp test twice and no luck. not sure if car not equippped or I did not do test correctly. any ideas? do have a fault tool, but wish I did. about how much should one cost?

stomp test is a pain sometimes. First time I could never get it to work, took a few days off and tried again and got it the 3rd try. Have to be real fast and make sure it goes to the floor every time. 2 times and gave up? sheesh dont be a quitter! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by joedir1 View Post
    tried stomp test twice and no luck. not sure if car not equippped or I did not do test correctly. any ideas? do have a fault tool, but wish I did. about how much should one cost?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ok thanks for the boost...may be a silly question, but my directions from the bmw4life site say that " fault codes can be read by turning the ignition key on"...and according to my wiring diagrams this is the first position (1) is the accessory position and the (2) is the run position. Which would you recommend to try this test? Also, silly again, but I can not confirm if the check engine light on this vehicle is the oil can with a drop of oiling coming out of it. thanks again in advance everyone.

2nd light from the left next to battery says check engine, key must be in position 2 "run" must stomp 5 times to the floor in like a microsecond it seems. Just checked it and took me 3 tries to get it to blink whats 1213? new to me lol.

edit: 1213 is O2 #2 ill reboot the computer and not let the thing idle til it gets warm or I change the intake gaskets again

Good luck
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 02-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

ok thanks...I will look more closely at the dash to find it. yea fault 1213: O2 sensor 2 lean/rich c/s...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast