GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: radio died, fuses?

Unregistered Guest

Default radio died, fuses?

The radio died (no power) in my 1991 535i, have found fuses under the hood, under the seat and in the back of the radio itself. All fuses are good. Is there any other fuses I am missing? Any suggestions? Bought a replacement radio, it doesn't work either....

behind the radio is one fuse also

he said he checked the back one:

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    ...and in the back of the radio itself. All fuses are good...
    is the harness is decent shape?

Unregistered Guest

Harness is in good shape, was just driving along and radio quit. All other electrical functions work as they should. If I can find a schematic for the connector, I will check and make sure all are hot that should be, right now with the key on, pins 5 and 9 are the only ones that are hot.

Might be an accesory wire that is not hot?

Doh!

Default Had same problem. Clips in fuse box may have loosened.

I know it sounds redneck, but I wraped my radio fuse (under hood) with duct tape with the sticky side out . I wrapped it enough so that it seats firmly between the other fuses. Have not gone and fixed it since. It can be a temporary fix till you get time to fix it. Give it a try, can't hurt.

Unregistered Guest

I checked the fuses with a tester, all fuses are hot at the box. I found a wiring diagram for the connector on Brunos site and one of my pins at the connector is not hot like it should be, gonna jump it and check my ground, see if this makes a difference.

Default Check ALL fuses in the car, not just those related to

the radio. Place Ohmeter probes on top of each fuse. Do not remove the fuses to check them.

In my E30, I've had UNRELATED(seemingly) fuses cause non-operation of some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    The radio died (no power) in my 1991 535i, have found fuses under the hood, under the seat and in the back of the radio itself. All fuses are good. Is there any other fuses I am missing? Any suggestions? Bought a replacement radio, it doesn't work either....

Unregistered Guest

Gave up on factory radio.. Bought another head unit (Sony CDX-SW200) installed it this morning. Man, what a difference. CD player up front, don't have to go to the trunk to change CDs anymore, plus the quality and radio reception is much better...

Plus, when I was in Wal-mart buying the head unit, I found Mobile-1 oil (15-w50) in 5 quart jugs for $20.00... Today may be a good day after all....lol

trent Guest

Default I have a 90 535 and the light on the radio went out

I have a 90 535i and the radio still works however the screen that shows the station number like 99.9 or whatever or CD the light stoped working about one month ago I have only checked the main fuse box and the radio fuse is fine! Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Trent
    Colorado