GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A current picture of the poor old 535,

car looks brand new from the pictures, cant wait to see it with all trim back on.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thanks Jr.

I don't think i'll ever go to the amount of detail that you and Gordon have gone to on your cars... this is supposed to be a dailydriver/parts runner, but still i'm irritated that i find myself parking way out when i drive it to go get something already.. and somebody parked next to me when i ran over to ace to pickup some adhesive. I find myself looking down to side to see if they door dinged me, thinking to myself, at least let me get the trim back on before somebody wacks it one..

The more i look it over the happier i am with the job they did, its not perfect but for the price its fine for me... He claims the basecoat cost him 200 per quart, don't know if i believe that number or not.

I didn't pull the window trim and i should have but i thought i'd bend some of it and have to buy more.. as it is they scratched short area with a DA sander and i'll have to take some 1000 grit and smooth the trim back out and polish it.

This second batch of clips i got from Patrick all worked fine with no breakage, all the rest of the side trim went on with no problems. I was using silicone spray lube on the clips and trim to try and get them to go on easier... And it was 75F out when i was doing it both times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5 View Post
    WOW! It looks GREAT Bill... Not only will it run forever with you as the owner, it will also look BRAND SPANKING NEW!

You got a hell of a deal for $700...The damn paint and clear cost about $250!

Did you remove all the chrome window trim?

Gordon would be soooo jealous...

Good job buddy, the moldings need to lay out in the sun for a little and a little touch of grease on the white clip will make it easier for them to pop in the track. They could be like me though, ....old....

Enjoy,
    JR

Default Yeah, I took a reamer and

reamed those holes out slightly to remove any paint buildup when i first started doing it, as much trouble as i had getting the door handle trim back on I thought the paint buildup was probably too thick. And the first white clips i tried to put in without reaming I couldn't push the center pins in, after reaming the hole the center pins were still more force than i liked but they finally went in.

I spotted an e39 wagon on ebay that other day that had the slideout loading bed and was really tempted to bid on it. but common sense prevailed at the last minute.

The m52/54 motors seem to be pretty bulletproof motors and i like them alot..

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H View Post
    as it share oil filter kits, etc with the X5.

Your project looks like it's coming along nicely. Those trim bits can be frustrating. Is it possible the openings in the doors were filled in with paint, making the opening smaller and harder to press the mouldings in to? or have I lost your train of thought.

Default Haha....

One day you will find two things occurring at the same time. 1) you'll see a reasonable E39 and 2) common sense will be taking a siesta. The rest will be history....

I just heard from a buddy who built an E34 535iT right after me. He just sold it and bought an E39 540i/6. Our Chicago independent had his E34 535iT (the one he was making at the same time I was) meet an untimely demise on 12/26 on iced up roads. He has purchased a customer's 528i.

It just seems to be the logical progression as much as we have all accused the E39 of looking like a jellybean compared to the E34.....

I'd love the power of the 540 but in the long run I think I will be happier with the 30mpg hwy and lower maint cost of the M54. I did just find a spot of diff fluid on my driveway though. I guess I'll have to take it in under CPO.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R. View Post

I spotted an e39 wagon on ebay that other day that had the slideout loading bed and was really tempted to bid on it. but common sense prevailed at the last minute.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234