GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Blown fuse - 525i A/T e34

Default Blown fuse - 525i A/T e34

All I wanted to do was to remove the microfilter ! After done that, the car would'nt start. It is RH steering and I was not sure if the microfilter cover was on the leftside (passenger) because all the threads on the web are mostly for LH steering. So I opened the glovebox and plastic covers and remove the floorcarpet on the left side until I saw the aircon piping and realised it should be on the driver's (right) side. When finished and I tried to start, this is the scenario: On turning the ignition, there are only a few clicks from relays but no crank - neither in P or N. Things OK - electronic trip meter, only Airbag indicator light, radio, air blower and lights. Things NOT OK - error message on cluster, no oil pressure/brake light indicators, Electric windows, sunroof, turning indicators. Suddenly when I shifted the gear lever between P, N and R while turning ignition, the car started with a jerk in R - strange hey! I pushed it back to P and car was idling normal. As soon as I put it into R or D the error indicator bar on cluster is flashing (not stable) contineously. I could drive the car without any problem - done it twice, e/windows, sunroof, indicators, lights working. I check fuse box in engine compartment. Only fuse 3 (heater) was blown and car would still not start. After some thorough investigation I found fuse 17 (7.5 Amp) also blown. According to the manual fuses 1,17,20 are for the instrument cluster. On replacing this 7.5 A fuse (17) it blew again. All I can think of is perhaps I have touched/pulled on some sensitive wire while struggling with microfilter or footwell cover? Any suggestions please!

I suspect you somehow pinched the grn/rd wire to the auto trans range switch. This would account for blowing fuse 17 as well as explain the odd behavior when attempting to start.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"