GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Coolant problem 1995 525i Auto

Default Coolant problem 1995 525i Auto

My son has gone on holiday and has just phoned to say that when he pulled into hotel car park he noticed water dripping from front of car - no indication of overheating on the dash. He found a sheared plastic screw on the top of the radiator next to the filler cap, which I believe is a vent screw. Any idea what would cause this to shear and any tips to get him home safely, as this is Bank Holiday weekend? Any advice much appreciated.

Gary M Guest

The plastic radiator parts are subject to cracks and breaks based on time and heat. You'll need to get a new screw. Depending upon where your son is it might be too late to zip over to a local dealer. Some are open on Saturdays. Another option is a junk yard.

Quote Originally Posted by John24
    My son has gone on holiday and has just phoned to say that when he pulled into hotel car park he noticed water dripping from front of car - no indication of overheating on the dash. He found a sheared plastic screw on the top of the radiator next to the filler cap, which I believe is a vent screw. Any idea what would cause this to shear and any tips to get him home safely, as this is Bank Holiday weekend? Any advice much appreciated.

Many thanks for response. Son managed to get home OK with help of a matchstick and some superglue. Now to get remains of plug unstuck.