GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to my first autocross event this weekend - any tips

Default Going to my first autocross event this weekend - any tips

Anyone out there have any wisdom to share?

Cone chaser!
    Give "Secrets of Solo racing" by Henry Watts a look.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

If in doubt, slow down. Don't be like that comedien who smashed that rare million dollar Ferrari.

Wear a helmet and a seatbelt, keep your arms and hands inside the car at all times.
    Walk the track while leaning your head as if you're going into the turn, taking note of the track surface, the apex of a turn, imagine you're in slow motion to study turn ins, braking and WOT application.
    Be smooth.
    Remove anything in the trunk, including the spare to reduce weight, try to keep the fuel level at the most 3/8 full.
    If you have a portable air compressor and a good dial tire gauge, bring it. Dialing in tire pressures is extremely important.
    Remember simple physics, take advantage of weight transfer by braking and throttle application.
    Bring a cooler with plenty of water and refreshments.
    Arrive early and be ready for Tech inspection. You cannot have loose batteries, bad tires, leaking oil or the like.

Most of all, have fun. This is your first taste of the addicting drug to which there is no cure. You won't be able to wipe the smile off your face, while learning just what your car is capable of doing.

Good Luck, and be sure to post some pictures of your first autocross!

Have fun,
    JR

thanks for the advice guys

Well, there's lots of advice I would give after your first event, but I've found it's not much help before a first event - there's so many things you'll be experiencing for the first time, you'll likely not remember a single bit of driving advice once you are zipping past the cones!

Just be careful and try not to over-drive yourself and the car. Make sure you have at least a half tank of gas, make sure tires have enough air in them, and try to have fun! Don't worry about being competitive and being slower than everybody else.

Cheers,

Paul

Good advice.
    I'll add if you're running on your stock tires, increase your pressures to around 45 or so.
    Walk the course a lot. Memorize it.
    Start out slow and work your way up....people who try to go too fast right on the first run usually have a harder time backing it down later.
    Slow in = fast out. Too much entry speed into your corners usually end up costing way more time than if you simply slow down to begin with. Slow enough to set up your exits. More throttle on exits = better times even if you have to slow your entrances.
    Talk to other fast guys...thye are usually willing to help noobs in the learning process. Have someone walk the course with you.
    Don't get discouraged when you get beat up on by a fast guy in a rusty Civic!

Here's a link to a greta Novice Handbook:

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

Most of all have fun!!
    Pat Washburn
    Wausau, WI
    1995 525iT

i've got a slight oil leak from the drain bolt - it's not excessive - i am hoping I won't fail tech.

Don't worry about that. If it isn't drip, drip, dripping in the tech garage you're okay.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

around here tech is nothing more then looking for a battery hold down and a quick lap around the car they don't give a damn about a drip of oil, now if it leaves a puddle they usually bitch at me about my new bell DOT approved helmet as it doesn't have a snell rating, so i started leaving it at the communal crap pile during tech and when they ask about a helmet "i am borrowing one from a buddy" "ok" i am not big on using the loner lice buckets but they usually have a few loners to pass around. it's usually a blast and i haven't missed one in a while, ran one at the end of last month and another is coming up next saturday, a couple months ago we hosted the divisional event which was two days and that came at the perfect time to tweak the new suspension on the e30, ran it the first day and learned it understeered too much and tweaked in some front camber for the 2nd day and it was perfect

and one of da shark before i killed the massive body roll
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast