Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Rear Door Glass Operation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley CA
    Posts
    260

    Default Rear Door Glass Operation

    My driver's side rear door glass wants to bind with the rubber seal on the verticle glass slide. Instead of sliding in behind the seal lip, the lip gets pushed back into the chanel as the glass goes up. realoem.com has several door parts schematics, but none that show the door glass and the slides etc.
    Year one lists door parts, slides etc. but has no schematic. Any help would be appreciated.
    My pass rear door glass operates funkily at best, it doesn't go up and down smoothly and properly like the others. I pulled the door apart and its issues are not obvious. Time to take it somewhere?
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    El Paso TX
    Posts
    1,534

    Default

    my rear doors did that, the glass had come unseated from the channel.

    I push it back down on the higher non binding side with the glass 1/2 down and no further issues.

    When you looked in the door was it while the system was operating, or with the glass all the way up or down?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley CA
    Posts
    260

    Default Unseated glass eh?

    I operated it a little bit with the door panel off, but I will have to do so again and look at the glass relative to the lower channel. I wasn't really focused there, more on the linkage and the slider. It was a bit unnerving to try and operate it, watch it and not let it go too far up and bind. It was definitely malfunctioning, but I wasn't pinpointing any isssues.
    I got frustrated, rolled it up and disconnected the switch.
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93 525 Paul View Post
    I operated it a little bit with the door panel off, but I will have to do so again and look at the glass relative to the lower channel. I wasn't really focused there, more on the linkage and the slider. It was a bit unnerving to try and operate it, watch it and not let it go too far up and bind. It was definitely malfunctioning, but I wasn't pinpointing any isssues.
    I got frustrated, rolled it up and disconnected the switch.

    +1 - 1/2 way down might as well grease up those wheels while you've got the door panel off.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley CA
    Posts
    260

    Default Patience my son...

    Quote Originally Posted by 525i winter driver View Post
    +1 - 1/2 way down might as well grease up those wheels while you've got the door panel off.
    Yep, white lithium I'd guess. Thanks for that.
    I was expecting something obvious, but when you don't know what you are looking for, it's a bit harder to spot it. Take II on a pita deal.

    Anyone have any insight or experience on the window channel/door schematic question?
    Quote Originally Posted by 93 525 Paul View Post
    My driver's side rear door glass wants to bind with the rubber seal on the verticle glass slide. Instead of sliding in behind the seal lip, the lip gets pushed back into the chanel as the glass goes up. realoem.com has several door parts schematics, but none that show the door glass and the slides etc.
    Year one lists door parts, slides etc. but has no schematic. Any help would be appreciated.
    Link to my M50 engine rebuild thread
    http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/43339-M50-Eng-4L30E-Trans-RRR-Far-More-Than-I-Ever-Expected?highlight=93+525+paul


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93 525 Paul View Post
    Yep, white lithium I'd guess. Thanks for that.
    I was expecting something obvious, but when you don't know what you are looking for, it's a bit harder to spot it. Take II on a pita deal.

    Anyone have any insight or experience on the window channel/door schematic question?
    does the glass not budge at all? you have to use a bit of force - keep your hands flat... push the top edge first towards the back of the car it should tilt enough for you to be able to slip it back into the front channel. maybe a helper playing the controls lightly would make it easier. sorry... no schematics here...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Eastern Tennessee USi
    Posts
    14,771

    Default

    it's the little nylon slider deals, the grease is dried up at this point too. Get the new sliders, they are cheap, clean the slider rail and use synthetic grease and you should be 90% better. If that dont fix the last 10% check to see that the glass is still glued to the channel. If this all fails mail me the car and I will fix it for you.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

    John F. Kennedy

Similar Threads

  1. E32 changing rear view mirror glass
    By shogun in forum 7 Series BMW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 10:19 AM
  2. How to remove small triangle glass window on rear door?
    By nsbone_1988_520i in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
  3. Door Mirror & Glass Inserts
    By BMWDriver in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 07:46 AM
  4. '92 Touring - hatch pistons for rear glass
    By jdt10768 in forum Body & Interior
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
  5. Door glass w deep, vertical scratches near top
    By Gene in NC in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2005, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •