GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Diy Flywheel Resurfacing

Default Diy Flywheel Resurfacing

Has anyone here ever tried resurfacing there own flywheel? I really don't have the extra cash right now for another dual mass, i'm curious if i should just leave my current one or if sanding it down a little cant hurt.

The flywheel itself really does not look that bad, i realized when i got the tranny off the my issue was my slave cylinder and not the clutch, i have a new one laying around now though so i have been planning on using it.

I tried sanding a bit on the old pressure plate with a 2" DA sander some 80 and 120grit, sitting next to the new one it looks improved as all the burn marks are gone but its not a machined surface.

Any ideas?

Side by side:

Old:

Sanded:

New:
    Last edited by tgrandahl; 07-23-2008 at 06:42 PM.

that's all i generally do, should be good to go
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    that's all i generally do, should be good to go
    I've just done a clutch job on mine, flywheel was in a bit of a state:

Used some 1200 grade wet and dry to take the glaze off the surface, you could feel the difference immediately. It went from glassy to matt - I wouldnt use anything quite as vicious as 100 range grade on it - you risk taking off too much material.

Just 'clean' it with high grade paper (600+) and a flat block, again I wouldnt use any power tools, just a bit of elbow grease. Been working fine since I did this to mine.

i use whatever is on hand and the way i limit removal and put a nice surface on it is to clamp the old throw out bearing in the vice and sit the flywheel on it, the action of the sander spins the flywheel and it winds up with a factory looking finish

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
    I wouldnt use anything quite as vicious as 100 range grade on it - you risk taking off too much material.

Just 'clean' it with high grade paper (600+) and a flat block, again I wouldnt use any power tools, just a bit of elbow grease. Been working fine since I did this to mine.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred View Post
    i use whatever is on hand and the way i limit removal and put a nice surface on it is to clamp the old throw out bearing in the vice and sit the flywheel on it, the action of the sander spins the flywheel and it winds up with a factory looking finish
    That's a kinda cool idea... might just try that next time

I'm all for having a go at resurfacing a flywheel. I'd probably use fine grade wet and dry on a block. But tgrandahl's post seems to suggest you do this with a used pressure plate? As they used to say in Punch, surely I am mistaken?

i normally use 80 or 120 grit paper, never had any problems