GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Spec'ing front suspension

Default Spec'ing front suspension

How do you spec the front suspension on my 89 535i? I have had the bimmer for one year now and the passenger side strut is bouncing. Want to replace struts, springs, spring seats and strut mounts. Question is how do I tell if I have a lowered 535i? I have heard that with Bilstein struts you are not suppose to use bumpers? This is all very confusing. Any one out there found a good combo for all these parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kibokojoe
    How do you spec the front suspension on my 89 535i? I have had the bimmer for one year now and the passenger side strut is bouncing. Want to replace struts, springs, spring seats and strut mounts. Question is how do I tell if I have a lowered 535i? I have heard that with Bilstein struts you are not suppose to use bumpers? This is all very confusing. Any one out there found a good combo for all these parts?
    I know the 1989 car has different struts then all the other years. I believe its 17mm nut and the others are larger. I put sport Bilstein and kept the stock springs. I like the handling but its quite harsh especially potholes.

Default How do you know if you need new springs

How do you know if you need new springs?
    Quote Originally Posted by dennyg
    I know the 1989 car has different struts then all the other years. I believe its 17mm nut and the others are larger. I put sport Bilstein and kept the stock springs. I like the handling but its quite harsh especially potholes.

Springs don't really wear out, you can change them out if you want soemthing stiffer or shorter. Otherwise don't worry about it unless they look damaged,really rusty.