GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aug '04 Bimmer Magazine has an E30 buyer's guide.

Default Aug '04 Bimmer Magazine has an E30 buyer's guide.

A nice article with all the comparison points of all the various models. Not presently owning a BMW of any kind, and after seeing all the fun that Jr has been able to squeeze out of his bare-bones budget Porsche Hunter, I'm getting a bit interested in those little s.

Brian C.
    '04 PT Cruiser
    '95 525ia...r.i.p.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Ahhh, the lure of the E30...Hey Brian, tell you what...look around southern Florida and find either a '91 318iS, or a '89 or '90 325iS and go for a test drive....

You'll find that parts are plentiful, reasonable and they're ready for autocross out of the box. With a garage and a few tools you would be able to keep within a tight budget and tweak it to your liking.

Or you could move next door to me and I'll introduce you to the "wintertime sanity" program, and help you with it. =)

Keep reading those articles, there's good information to be gleaned from them. Take a couple of test drives in 13 year old technology and see what you think. They are basically pretty simple to work on, and you already have an understanding of how BMW's work, so why not? If you look at the 325's then be sure to see if the timing belt has been replaced as it should. Com'n in, the waters fine!!!

Jr

Default I second that!! My E30 is my daily driver now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Ahhh, the lure of the E30...Hey Brian, tell you what...look around southern Florida and find either a '91 318iS, or a '89 or '90 325iS and go for a test drive....

You'll find that parts are plentiful, reasonable and they're ready for autocross out of the box. With a garage and a few tools you would be able to keep within a tight budget and tweak it to your liking.

Or you could move next door to me and I'll introduce you to the "wintertime sanity" program, and help you with it. =)

Keep reading those articles, there's good information to be gleaned from them. Take a couple of test drives in 13 year old technology and see what you think. They are basically pretty simple to work on, and you already have an understanding of how BMW's work, so why not? If you look at the 325's then be sure to see if the timing belt has been replaced as it should. Com'n in, the waters fine!!!

Jr
    The Explorer is parked (gas prices ++++!!!), but the E30 is perfectly competent. Would be a little more so if the A/C was functional, but that's what makes it fun-barebones. You can probably pick up a nice 325iS for $4000, reasonably sorted. You might even find a 318iS for that or a little less. I LOVE MY E30! Oh, and the E34 too...

Bill B.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default I'll add this to my "things to think about" list!

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Default Me too.

But Jr. and Bill, what do you think about 6'3", 210 lbs in an E30? I guess all I need to do is sit in one and see for myself.

Default VERY adjustable sport seats, I'm 5'8" 185lb. feels roomy to me!

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller
    But Jr. and Bill, what do you think about 6'3", 210 lbs in an E30? I guess all I need to do is sit in one and see for myself.
    I've had my boss ride with me (he's a big guy, 6'3, 225 or so) and it wasn't a squeeze fit, but not as roomy as me at the wheel. Head out to a CCA meeting and ask to "test-sit" one of your club member's cars. We invite test drives often! I've got a buddy with a '91 build year (mine's a '90 build year) 318iS that I use as a litmus test as to when I need to work on something. He says my shifter is a little sloppy, so that's on my rework list.

Bill B.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Jr is right. After working on an E34 the E30 is very simple and easy. With lots of great advice from Jr and others I rebuilt the suspension and set the car up as a dual road and track car. Now my son is buying it I either have to negotiate using it on track days or find myself another car....
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

Now who's in the market for a 318iS??? Hey, I know...you and Quentin could go in and buy one together and tune it...=) A dedicated track car!

You know you're starting something don't you? I find myself looking at affordable E30 M3's....I'm starting to blame you! =)

Dear Lori,

I hereby admit and accept all responsibility for encouraging, nay, insisting that your dear husband purchase an E30 M3!

There Jr. that should absolve you of any responsibiltiy for your actions!
    Geoff
    Sydney, Australia
    '94 525iA

ya chubbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast