GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Some concrete leads

Default OT: Some concrete leads

Have bought a new greenhouse for my lady. And before you ask, yes she did want one! Of course it has to be constructed on level ground. The site is concrete and slopes away from the property and to the right with odd lumps and bumps. Digging out the concrete isnt an option. I thought of putting timber batons on the ground but I dont fancy planing 32ft of timber into 8ft 'wedges'. So I'm looking for an easy way to make an uneven, sloping surface flat without touching whats there already. Anyone help?

Use "sleepers" of varying thickness parallel to the building. Lay your flooring across them.
    If there is the slightest potential for water I'd keep a little pitch away from the structure.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

No need to plane the wood - as long as it's high enough you can just lay the wood on what's already there (if it's really bumpy/uneven then maybe use expandable polyurethane foam to fill the gaps). So if you site slopes 6" and you want a minimum thickness of 6" (i.e. 6" deep concrete at one end, 12 " at the other end) then you just need 12" wide plywood laid on its side.

What do you plan on growing in that GREENhouse eh? :P
    89 535i
    83 528e
    82 Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo
    1981 Honda CB750C

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    I wasnt really expecting anything so constructive
    I like the idea of sleepers Ross but the ground really isnt even. Its a bit of an exaggeration but it would be a bit like having a barrel on its side and trying to balance a plank on top
    Pingu I like the idea. But if I use a straight piece of 6" planking wont I just end up with a 6" deep bed of concrete on a slope? The tops of the planks need to be horizontal so I can tamp it down - and end up with a horitontal surface. But the foam idea to fill the gaps is great. Not sure it would hold the concrete back though?
    Phatty5BMW, you will not believe this but somebody smashed the old greenhouse. They stole 3 tomato plants and a bag of compost. My guess is they thought what you may be thinking.
    Thanks for the replies!!
    Whynot get some plyboard up to the edges of the 'crete, create a perfect vertical and fill with some fresh concrete to level it off?

Sorta |/\| and fill in the gaps?

Default Concrete!

I wasnt really expecting anything so constructive
    I like the idea of sleepers Ross but the ground really isnt even. Its a bit of an exaggeration but it would be a bit like having a barrel on its side and trying to balance a plank on top
    Pingu I like the idea. But if I use a straight piece of 6" planking wont I just end up with a 6" deep bed of concrete on a slope? The tops of the planks need to be horizontal so I can tamp it down - and end up with a horitontal surface. But the foam idea to fill the gaps is great. Not sure it would hold the concrete back though?
    Phatty5BMW, you will not believe this but somebody smashed the old greenhouse. They stole 3 tomato plants and a bag of compost. My guess is they thought what you may be thinking.
    Thanks for the replies!!

why dont you get some say 100x100 or 100 x 75 to act as bearers and cut wedges to pack them up level say every 900 mm.You can have a few of those and lay some sort of floor on them,or put some floor structure(say joists and ply on top of them
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    Whynot get some plyboard up to the edges of the 'crete, create a perfect vertical and fill with some fresh concrete to level it off?

Sorta |/\| and fill in the gaps?
    I dont have a concrete base as such at the moment-just a very wonky surface. The pro's would probably dig an 8ft square hole and start afresh but thats not an option for me

Can't you just place planks on all four sides, like a mold or form, and seal them at the bottom so there's no leaks, then fill the inside with fresh concrete until it's flat all the way across?

If the surface is that bad you have a couple of options. Scribe the sleepers to match the concrete under(Who poured this mess?) or form around the existing pad and pour a level layer on top.
    If'n it were me I'd level the concrete.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast