GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheapo Foglights?

Default Cheapo Foglights?

Was the consensus about the $80ish a pair Fog lamps from Hong Kong etc that they really aren't as problematic as many may want to believe? Both my Fog Lenses are cracked AGAIN with one now full of water having shorted the bulb tonight. These are $160 a pair less than OE Hellas . Since I drive so much and the roads here are so abysmal always throwing up debris cracking the lenses AND I F'ed one of my Lamps trying to solder the wire to the plug element melting the plastic and now have an appliance plug Electrical taped to hold it in place making the connection with the harness becasue the plug wires broke AGAIN,are there any real solid reasons to shell out for the OE brand on these? I don't see how they can make something like this "Too" cheap.
    Last edited by Jehu; 02-28-2008 at 12:22 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I am on the same E bay hunt too.

I have one stone chipped and one sand blasted fog light.

These cheapo DEPO lights look pretty good.

Tempting isn't it........
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 02-28-2008 at 01:22 AM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

in light of how frequently I find myself in need the only alternative is getting new lenses from say Bavarian Autosport for around $40/ea. For the same price i can get new everything which will look fifteen years old in a few months anyway so i suppose it matters as much as how many angles can dance on the head of a pin.

I just thought I'd read some people decrying the "cheapness" off them warning others to avoid them but i can't really see a whole lot that can go wrong . If the plastic isn't too brittle that it breaks very easily or the glass isn't too thin and cracks easier than the Hellas or they have fitments issues what can you screw up in something as simple as a fog-lamp?All you see is the glass of the lense anyway. If it holds the bulb and the plug and bolts in place that should be enough. I can take reports of other non oem parts being less than successful more seriously when they are in high stress areas with more important fuctions.

No light bulb included
    That does not matter, but:
    offer does not mention if they are for H1 bulbs and connectors or the U.S. style 9005/6.
    That you should ask them before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    That does not matter, but:
    offer does not mention if they are for H1 bulbs and connectors or the U.S. style 9005/6.
    That you should ask them before buying.
    Thanks. Noted and done. I'll post the reply here when it arrives.

BMWlight distributes plastic fog lenses and such. I think they come out of RSA, with a distributor somewhere in the southeast US and A. FWIW, I'm now running two or three headlight lenses and both fogs with no problem. Fitting was a breez (clear silicone) and they look fine.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

The difference is that in Hongkong you get complete fog lights cheaper than the lenses only, which they offer for "WAS $49.99 NOW $44.99 per set"

Since I have already bought these off ebay, I'll chime in.

These are the ones i bought: http://cgi.ebay.ca/89-95-BMW-E34-5-S...QQcmdZViewItem

They're great, plain and simple. They use H1 Bulbs, HOWEVER they have conversion harness inside the plastic cover. The Plastic Cover outside is 9006 like stock and on the inside of the plastic cover, there's 2 wires (color-coded) coming from the 9006 original harness.

Plus they look really sweet. I put HID's in mine so it was a bit of custom work, but we'll worth it. Plus they give it that clear Euro look. I'll have them installed soon and take pics.

The only thing i can't remember at the moment is that if the outside lense is clear plastic or glass. When I get to my garage later on today, I'll check them out and post.

But, value wise, it's 70$-80$ for a pair of fog lights, it's EXTREMELY worth it, espically since how much 1 single fog light alone is.

BMW E34 1992 525i Touring

RIP Touring...probably never going to drive you again...

ive had a set of DEPO projection style fogs and have beeen very happy with them only thing that wasnt correct was the connector.

i like DEPO lights good quality.

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Was the consensus about the $80ish a pair Fog lamps from Hong Kong etc that they really aren't as problematic as many may want to believe?...
    I bought these fog lights for my 530i a couple of years ago and only had an issue with one of the lights. Something happened to my right fog light and it did not project the light the same as the left. This may have been caused by me accidentally hitting a curb when parking or something else.

They have the H1 plug on the back and use H1 bulbs. The only thing I found annoying was the rubber gasket that goes around the glass came off of both of mine but that's not really a deal breaker. For the price you can't beat them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast