GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rejuvinate leather in 1995 525i

Default How do I Rejuvinate leather in 1995 525i???

Hi folks!

My leather on the seats is getting stiff and I just did a leather protectant coating on them. Apparently I need something that goes 'deeper.' Since I got this car not new, I am not sure of the original 'softness' of the leather, so maybe it is right - but I don't think so. I also have never had leather seats, so I am not sure how it should be. I know that I have sat in other leather seats, but they have been of varying textures & levels of softness. It is pretty hard to the touch, but there aren't any cracks - but I don't want any.

Is there something I need to do to them, some deep treatment that needs to be applied to soften them up? I have another vehicle, so letting it sit is not really a problem. Also, whatever is recommended, please let me know where to get the products, and your personal experience.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ericole; 05-21-2004 at 03:22 PM.

new540iowner Guest

Default I had cardboard leather seats when I bought my 540 two years ago...

I spent about $50 in leather conditioners before I realized the proper procedure for rejuvenating hard leather seats. I know it sounds weird, but break out some 220 grit sandpaper and sand the seats lightly to open up
    some of the pores in the leather. Next, apply some Leatherique or Colorplus leather soffener (I use Colorplus) and allow the seats to soak up the soffener. This works best in the hot sun which will speed up the absorption process.

Unregistered Guest

LEXOL

Try both cleaner and conditioner. Dilute ~50/50 with water, and make several hand-rubbed applications over several days, so it has a chance to soak in. After that, a lot of the scuffs and scratches in my '90 grey leather disappeared, and the rest softened to the point they're not noticable.

i tried that last summer and it took the dye off the leather, not a pretty site at all!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default This is one way to go........

From Bruno's www.bmwe34.net site, his leather reconditioning procedure gives you a good step by step plan. It's good that you have a back-up driver too.

Good Luck...

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

grrrr...i hate mint looking seats
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default You tried WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    i tried that last summer and it took the dye off the leather, not a pretty site at all!
    You tried WHAT last summer - to rejuvinate the leather? You posted this directly under my post, so that is what I have to assume...

Eric
    Eric

1995 525i
    Huntsville, AL

Default Where??

As I asked in my original post, WHERE do you get these two products? Do they have good usage instructions on them??
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by new540iowner
    I spent about $50 in leather conditioners before I realized the proper procedure for rejuvenating hard leather seats. I know it sounds weird, but break out some 220 grit sandpaper and sand the seats lightly to open up
    some of the pores in the leather. Next, apply some Leatherique or Colorplus leather soffener (I use Colorplus) and allow the seats to soak up the soffener. This works best in the hot sun which will speed up the absorption process.
    Eric

1995 525i
    Huntsville, AL

I use Leatherique, which is available at - get this - http://www.leatherique.com.

ColorPlus is available at http://www.colorplus.com/

Both have online ordering available.

Default I've posted this pic about a bazillion times, its my old 635 seats after my

nephew redid them in colorplus... you don't use 220 sandpaper incidently, color pluses website has a pdf document on the front page that tells you the procedure...I've used both leatherique and colorplus and I thought that colorplus had better customer service and my color match was much closer.
    www.colorplus.com

Quote Originally Posted by ericole
    As I asked in my original post, WHERE do you get these two products? Do they have good usage instructions on them??
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast