GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody here played with

Default the higher output systems are around

one liter per minute. There are a whole lot of scams out there involving this but there are a few that are the real deal. Most systems are using a vacum switch so that you aren't wasting current generating gas at idle or when coasting down, so the only time your producing gas is when driving at part throttle and higher. As soon as the engine stops you stop generating gas and most of them use multiple check valves to prevent backflash from occuring

Quote Originally Posted by Itsnotme1988
    So does diesel....that's the point.

Petrol pre-ignites at a much lower rate than diesel, ie the problem.
    really? thats probably why i said that it'd be a diesel engine with petrol instead of diesel fuel. in what i said originally

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

No Rob... if you put gasoline fuel into diesel engine, there would be massive preignition and that would destroy the engine. There is no way to run unleaded fuel in super high compression ratio engine. The flash point property of gasoline prevents this... as it has much lower igntion point.

If you take a teaspoon of gasoline in a cup, you can ignite it with a match. If you try to do that with diesel, you get nothing... it will not burn. That is why military vehicles use diesel fuel... so when bullets fly and hit the gas tank, it will not explode. Aside from this, vehicles gets more torque and mileage with diesel fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    No Rob... if you put gasoline fuel into diesel engine, there would be massive preignition and that would destroy the engine. There is no way to run unleaded fuel in super high compression ratio engine. The flash point property of gasoline prevents this... as it has much lower igntion point.

If you take a teaspoon of gasoline in a cup, you can ignite it with a match. If you try to do that with diesel, you get nothing... it will not burn. That is why military vehicles use diesel fuel... so when bullets fly and hit the gas tank, it will not explode. Aside from this, vehicles gets more torque and mileage with diesel fuel.
    Err, I think you miss what i was actually saying. I was speaking figuratively about petrol in a diesel engine.
    ie a diesel engine is determined by it being compression ignition not the fuel and thus if a petrol engine had the same compression ratio as a diesel engine you wouldn't be igniting it by spark anymore it'd be compression ignition.

but thanks for the lecture, i'll add it to all the ones i received when i studied mechanical engineering at university.

Ahhh... Mr. Smarty Pants eh? Perhaps your communication skill needs to be polished for clarity. I think automakers thought about that and finds it not reliable or otherwise, they would have made it already.... even in concept car.

I think the current Direct Fuel Injection is the closest it ever gotten to near diesel characteristics, yet the immense amount of pressure they must use to inject the fuel and prevent backflash and preignition in that critical injection timing.

Ahhh... Mr. Smarty Pants eh? Perhaps your communication skill needs to be polished for clarity. I think automakers thought about that and finds it not reliable or otherwise, they would have made it already.... even in concept car.

I think the current Direct Fuel Injection is the closest it ever gotten to near diesel characteristics, yet the immense amount of pressure they must use to inject the fuel and prevent backflash and preignition in that critical injection timing.
    Yes I do need to be polished and i assure you i am working on that , I am sorry for the misunderstanding my comment about the lecture was in jest. Its funny when someone is on the same page as you yet disagrees with you lol.

Anyway, I found VW FSI to be very interesting in that the charge is stratified in the chamber that is you have fuel air mixture around the middle of the chamber but around the outside there is only pure air (unlike port injection where the mixture is practically homogenous. So in theory if you look at the whole cylinder's A/F ratio it runs very lean, but in reality the area with the stratified charge has a good AF mixture. And when the engine runs (in FSI mode at least the golf my friend has) it sounds like a diesel too.

I think Mercedes is working on that in their latest concept.
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

is the mitsubishi "gdi" system the same as VW FSI(or is it the other way around....)I know Mitsubishi had had GDI for some time.
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    is the mitsubishi "gdi" system the same as VW FSI(or is it the other way around....)I know Mitsubishi had had GDI for some time.
    I think it in its basic concept is the same paul, it seems to be a direct injection which results in a stratified charge which is then ignited. injector technology (FSI uses piezo injectors i think)and the swirl/spray of the injector maybe different though

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123