GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little OT Primative working conditions

Default A little OT Primative working conditions

What's the worst conditions you've had to make a repair in?
    Mine; changing a starter motor on a '67 Chrysler dangling from a bumper jack in a DIY (really a quarter then!)car wash laying in ice, snow and slush at around 15 degrees F.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Wiring my vw scirroco headlights direct to the battery in near white out conditions along the Trans Canada in Saskachewan in February (-30 celcius). Its nice when your lights suddenly fail at 100km/h in a snow storm (relay blew chunks).

I scavenged enough wire from interior components that no longer worked, spliced it together and prayed for no fires. I had loads of snow to roll in if things didn't work out

I might thnk of something else later. I'm sure Winfred willhave a gooder.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Two weeks ago,changing a flat on an Autobahn in sleet at night,had a trolley jack but could I get it under the sill? Mercedes took off door mirror, that did it, drove 15k`s on a flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Wiring my vw scirroco headlights direct to the battery in near white out conditions along the Trans Canada in Saskachewan in February (-30 celcius). Its nice when your lights suddenly fail at 100km/h in a snow storm (relay blew chunks).

I scavenged enough wire from interior components that no longer worked, spliced it together and prayed for no fires. I had loads of snow to roll in if things didn't work out

I might thnk of something else later. I'm sure Winfred willhave a gooder.

Dave M
    that one is going to be hard to top.

removing the complete exhaust system from my pickup, with no jack, lying in the snow -20.

tying my sagging gas tank to the frame rail with yellow twine, in the snow, same pickup, same temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Paull-Edwards
    Two weeks ago,changing a flat on an Autobahn in sleet at night,had a trolley jack but could I get it under the sill? Mercedes took off door mirror, that did it, drove 15k`s on a flat!
    Somebody hit you on the Autobahn?
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Hmm...

Full, double-engine swap (2 cars, swapping engines) in my driveway with nothing more than a basic tool kit, a cheap trolley-jack, and lots of wood and wheels to prop the cars up!!

There was a bit of 'lying-in-mud-on-a-blanket' fixing of the rallycar over the years too!!

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Default maybe this one doesn't count

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Its nice when your lights suddenly fail at 100km/h in a snow storm (relay blew chunks).
    saskatchewan kind of did that to me too. didn't do any work, tho, so i don't think this counts. alternator died rapidly halfway between saskatoon and regina - was in a '75 cadillac hearse (that's right...) loaded with heavy music gear and people in a brutal snowstorm at night and it was at least -20'C. nowhere to stop and we might have died out there anyway. got behind an 18w truck, flashed what was left of the lights a few times and followed him all the way into Regina- shXt that was cold. always wondered what the driver was thinking, i would have liked to buy him a drink- he might have wanted one but i don't think he was all that anxious to stick around and meet us.

...help me i'm freeeezing...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesAFerg
    Somebody hit you on the Autobahn?
    Yup,M-B van,flat on right thank god,left the jack and went! If that had been a flat on offside there is no way I would stop, especially on those roads with high fencing right by hard shoulder, nowhere to go.

Dont start me on bloody rally cars! After years of that I blessed engineers at Mitsubishi who designed the Gallant VR4 to be worked on with 5 sizes, and gave us an air-power backback to hold all spanners and sockets, saved hours and tons of gear,every bolt was sized to fit 10/13/15/17/19,never seen it since.

just about every motorcycle has 10 12(or 13) 14,17,19.My worst moment was trying to adjust the carburettor on my torana gtr in the midle of the night on a back road in the middle of nowwhere..the only light was the reflection of the headlights off me....
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast