GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Open Driver's Door from Inside

Default Can't Open Driver's Door from Inside

I guess I have been hitting the gym too hard lately.....

When I tried to get out of my car last night, the interior door handle gave way - no resistance any more, and the door doesn't open. It feels as though something gave way in the interior of the door panel, almost like a rubber band snapping. The door still opens fine from the outside.

I'll probably bring it by the shop this weekend (and will open the door from the outside for the time being), but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

thanks,
    db
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

there is rod with a hook on the inside of the door that is attached to the door latch. This is what connects your door handle to the latch. Remove the door panel and you can reconnect the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    there is rod with a hook on the inside of the door that is attached to the door latch. This is what connects your door handle to the latch. Remove the door panel and you can reconnect the hook.

That's what it feels like happened. How difficult is it to remove the panel? Harder or easier than replacing a microfilter.......

thanks!

db
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

Quote Originally Posted by dave b
    That's what it feels like happened. How difficult is it to remove the panel? Harder or easier than replacing a microfilter.......

thanks!

db
    I actually replaced the microfilter in september, coincidentally - so in comparison, taking off the door panel is much easier, it's really just a matter of removing the screws, and then pulling the panel up and off. I also had to remove it when my window fell off the guides in the spring, it gets easier each time you do it - but it's really not a hassle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dave b

thanks!

db
    From what I've heard about micofilter replacement (my car is not equipped), pulling the door panel is three-layer cake walk. Its been a while, but I'll try to remember. OR, its in the Bentley.

Remove the little black plastic insert that covers the screw behind the latch, then remove the screw.

Remove the plastic cover on the interior handle, then remove the screw (use a very small screwdriver and be somewhat carefull as you can damage the cover).

Remove the mirror adjuster. I believe you just pull it out and disconnect it.

Remove the 'tweeter' (speaker). I think there are small black screws (or a single screw) hidden somewhere, you'll figure it out.

Now start at the bottom of the door and tug at the panel to 'pop' out a few lastic clips. Continnue around the door until you feel you've got all the clips out. The top and middle will still feel attached. You need to pull up (sometimes pretty hard) to get it removed. You'll understand why when you see the clip in the middle of the door that keeps things secure. Note how it is oriented for installation.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sniper535
    Or you can just take Snipers advice and read e34.net's write up . Forgot that was out there.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Thanks for all of the help...

I'm going to tackle it this weekend. Until then, I will play Dukes of Hazard...

db
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

either the rubber grommet that holds the hook in the handle crumbled dumping the hook or the cable snapped (no rod, bicycle looken cable)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Door Panel Removal

The write up on the bmwe34.net site is not clear on the screw behind the interior door handle. You must remove the small plastic cover by prying it off with a small screwdriver and then remove the screw.
    The screw is shown in the first picture but no mention is made of it.

1995 540iA - 1988 535i 5 Speed
    1980 528i 5 Speed - 1980 528iA (Sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast