GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automatic Stability Control (ASC)

Quote Originally Posted by GJPinAU
    Another thing with this system that not all people know about is, if you hold the ASC button in until the light on the instrument cluster goes out, it changes the level of traction control turning the ABS to the front wheels on or off (can't remember which, I think its on).
    The trick I know is that when you first start the car you hold down the ASC button...it will light upi then go back out and now you will have traction control on and it will brake the rear wheels preventing them from spinning but it will not limit the powere so instead of the rev's being hampered to 1k you will still be able to use full power
    -Mike

....this is for the US spec e32 7 series. (info according to "Q")

ASC first became available on the 1990 750iL, then was upgraded to ASC+T in 1991-up

ASC was an option on the 1991-1992 735i/iL (ASC+T never available on the US version 735i/iL)

ASC+T was an option on the 1993-1994 740i/iL

(the button reads ASC regardless of which system you have)

The "T"(traction) in ASC+T was more of an evolution of ASC (automatic stability control)... here is more info about BMW's ASC+T:

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/technology/asct.htm

No, it is not. Both Active Skid Control or Anti Skid Control is INCORRECT. It is in fact Automatic Stability Control + Traction (ASC+T). It does MORE than to just control rear wheel slip but not as advanced as DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) like in newer Bimmers (like my E46). It will provide controllable power output to rear wheel depending on driving condition (that includes fast turns). DSC is step up from ASC+T as it will sense speed as well. Especially on my M3, I usually always keep DSC on when taking on the twisty roads while driving fast!

See below from my E34 owners manual:

Quote Originally Posted by ///Sam-Son
    nope not a stability control. I have the ASC+T and it does nothing but prevent your rear wheels from spinning
    Last edited by Rick L; 12-10-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Any where to find more information on this?

Quote Originally Posted by gjmane36
    Any where to find more information on this?
    Yes, go to www.google.com and type "BMW ASC ASC+T" into the search box.

As shogun posted...there is a difference between ASC, ASC+T, and DSC. I believe the original poster stated that he had a 1992 BMW...unless he had an e31 8 series, or an e32 750iL...the only electronic traction control option for other BMWs at that time was ASC.

ASC only reduced engine throttle reduction to help the drive wheels regain traction ( just like it states in other's post's with the text from the owners manual etc).

In 1993, ASC+T became the electronic traction control system, and this is when ABS braking was added to help the car regain traction.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

DSC (dynamic stabiliy control) which brings traction control to both the rear AND front axle...will apply ABS braking to the front wheels to help prevent skidding and oversteer/understeer situations and adds yaw sensors that detect when the car is beggining to rotate off its vertical axis. DSC was first availble, again, on the e31 8 series, and e38 750iL. It then became standard equipment on the e38 740iL starting with the 1998 model year, and then trickled down to the other models in proceeding years (I believe 1999 for the e39 5 series).
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12