GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Much demand for a mid 90's 525 touring?

Default Much demand for a mid 90's 525 touring?

Even with high milage, 280k but has been around Europe 3 times (12k in total)this year on trips. not bad body work and the engine and auto box are fine...not sure the colour etc it doesnt float my boat..but never let me down.

Passed MOT after a bulb was changed..

I have no idea what its worth
    Cant pop it on ebay, as i dont use it, and seem some sheds on there..pity its not a diesel, but i got decent miles on the autobahn.
    These are the fotos as i saw it when i bought it. not worse. odd little rust patches and trolly dents. Pulled a 525 on a trailer long distance no probs

im off to live in Germany next year so want some ideas as i need to sell it soon.
    Computer comes up occ with rear brake fault, but thats common i was told on these, only other thing is there are no pistons on the rear lid, but i always use a broom to keep it up so no hassle there.
    ta
    Attached Images Attached Images    

best e34 colour ever.

If the mileage were lower you would probably get £500 to £750 ish for it. However at 280k you'd be very lucky to break £500. With a full MOT and Tax expect around £300-400.

The problem is e34's just aren't worth anything in the UK, especially with that kind of intergalactic mileage. I just looked at autotrader.co.uk and can get 6 525 tourings for less than £800 and all have less than 170k on the clock.

That said, it does look really tidy in the pics. Try advertising on UK based BMW sites rather than fleaBay, hopefully you will get a fair price for it. It would be a real shame to scrap it but it is probably worth more in parts.

1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    If the mileage were lower you would probably get £500 to £750 ish for it. However at 280k you'd be very lucky to break £500. With a full MOT and Tax expect around £300-400.

The problem is e34's just aren't worth anything in the UK, especially with that kind of intergalactic mileage. I just looked at autotrader.co.uk and can get 6 525 tourings for less than £800 and all have less than 170k on the clock.

That said, it does look really tidy in the pics. Try advertising on UK based BMW sites rather than fleaBay, hopefully you will get a fair price for it. It would be a real shame to scrap it but it is probably worth more in parts.

When i was in Germany a couple of months ago, speaking to e34.de club, they said there 34's fetch a lot of money and was surprised how much cheaper they are here, i get free road tax, as im disabled so never bought any for it, so not sure how much it is. It doesnt smoke etc and runs sweet, did a steady 120mph accross Germany where i could in the middle of the night and it didnt miss a beat, even had the gauge at just under 140, but i guess its a little lower than that in reality. i knew at that milage, the water pump wouldnt be plastic.

I have a black 525 saloon on the sales page, which im hoping to get shut of, on at £500 but would take less for a quick sale, nice 17 inch wheels

This touring was great around E Germany and Poland, and on my last trip, i took a huge roof box, the box shape and not aerodynamic, my bank card packed up, and i got from France to Rostock (near German seaside, IIRC about 600 miles) on a full tank, sat behind big trucks all the way, so no drag and took it steady at 50ish.

Hate to see it broken up..few little scratches and dents sorted would look good as new.

Theres always a healthy demand for e34s but I wouldn't say demand was apart from for the more rare optioned / high performance models.

These are notoriously difficult cars to value, when you consider whats out there for the same money theres nothing in the same league. They do seem to be getting good prices at the moment and condition and maintenance is very important as theres no such thing as a cheap BMW!

Its the mileage thats the killer on yours, if it had average mileage I would say anywhere between £800 - £1600 depending on condition and spec etc but at that mileage I would reckon £400 - £800. Shoot me down if you think thats off the mark as thats just my opinion, what were your expectations?

I know my e34s are worth more to me as nice cars you can drive everyday and have a laugh in than what I would get for them in cash or what I would get for similar money...
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Sorry to repeat you mate, looks like I posted at the same time ( I got side tracked)
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    Theres always a healthy demand for e34s but I wouldn't say demand was apart from for the more rare optioned / high performance models.

These are notoriously difficult cars to value, when you consider whats out there for the same money theres nothing in the same league. They do seem to be getting good prices at the moment and condition and maintenance is very important as theres no such thing as a cheap BMW!

Its the mileage thats the killer on yours, if it had average mileage I would say anywhere between £800 - £1600 depending on condition and spec etc but at that mileage I would reckon £400 - £800. Shoot me down if you think thats off the mark as thats just my opinion, what were your expectations?

I know my e34s are worth more to me as nice cars you can drive everyday and have a laugh in than what I would get for them in cash or what I would get for similar money...
    I agree, i see stuff go for more, and wouldnt trust on a 1000 mile one way trip, this had FSH too, like Citroens etc and im surprised that Mondeo estates have gone for more.

The Germans i spoke too, said that milage wouldnt put them off, i use FUCHS oil and doesnt burn. 400-600...thats low for a well looked after car, but your right. seems low.

Also try total BMW mag, I believe ads are free in that so you've got nothing to loose. If it didn't sell wherever you put it, you could use ebay as a last resort, the benefit is you have a set / known timeframe within which you know the car will be sold.

Just curious: What year is the 525i Touring that it has the "V8" center grille? In the U.S. that would be only 1995 model year, but then our lower rockers would have covers and, along with the front and rear valances, would be in body color.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1
    Just curious: What year is the 525i Touring that it has the "V8" center grille? In the U.S. that would be only 1995 model year, but then our lower rockers would have covers and, along with the front and rear valances, would be in body color.
    Its a 96 IIRC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast