GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having problems removing rear strut assembly

Default Having problems removing rear strut assembly

Hi there, done a lengthy search on this as its probably happened many times before but couln't find anything specific enough... Anyway here goes:

Been waiting to replace the rear shock mounts for some time (spring compressor was in the post - good old royal mail), and finally got down to the job earlier today. I have got the bottom bolt out, suppported the trailing arm and removed two of the tree top nuts. The other nut a tthe top is well rusted and must be seized to the bolt as when i try to undo it the bolt is just moving around with it. Its really frustrating. Also having problems at the bottom end, as i've took the bolt out and prized a washer type item off too but the shock wont budge off the trailing arm... HELP!

I'm wandering if i can get the bottom off will it be ok to try and move the shock around so i can snap the bolt up top to get it out? All was going well until i hit this rusty bolt. There's always one...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Cut the last bolt off and buy a new nount, the bottom is is frozen on, so spray it with some WD-40 and give a few blows with a hammer.

Becareful if you plan to reuse the shock and do not damage it with the hammer.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

unbolt the roll bar to give yourself a bit more space, cold chisel the top nut off, if you`re going to re-use the top mount then get a shop to weld a bolt up thro the mount. If all else fails I have a spare set to send you.

The shock in the RTA can be hard to get out. Mine popped out easily (unlike everything else on the damn car) but if it were stuck, my advice would be lots of penetrating oil and some quick hammer hits.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I bought the big meyle 16 piece kit, and also the sachs sport kit - I'm curious if it is a good idea to purchase new strut mounts

like these
    http://www.bmaparts.com/item.wws?mfr...132270MY%2Ejpg
    BMA
    BMW075123 MEYLE Rear Strut Mount
    SHOCK SUPPORT Available 0.00 34.74

Ebay
    http://motors.search.ebay.com/?from=...34+meyle+mount
    Last edited by CharlesAFerg; 10-24-2007 at 06:07 PM.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Hey guys, couldn't get on the site at all yesterday so apologies on the late reply.

Thanks for all the advice, I got a cold chisel on the top and it is working, but its gonna take a bit of time so i've had to wait till today to get stuck into it (lots of banging!). I think i should be able to get it off with the chisel i got! Just hate banging away like that, makes the car shake and a terrible noise.

Thanks for the very generous offer there Barney - i may take you up on it depending on how things go today!!!

As for the bottom end i couldn't find that thread in my search thanks Dave, i might pop out and get a gear puller - i don't like hammering the shock as i'm keeping that!

Just waiting for everyone to get up so i can chisel that f*cker off the top - it though it had us beat!

I'll keep you informed...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

What is a cold chisel?
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

On nicks car we used a large pole to move the RTA down to move the shock out . it worked okay.

Quote Originally Posted by leicesterboy15
    What is a cold chisel?
    A chisel intended for cutting metal, as opposed to a wood chisel, etc.; so named because the metal doesn't need to be heated.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast