GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e34 M5's: What's the diff between the

Default e34 M5's: What's the diff between the

eurospec 3.6L M5's and the North American 3.6L M5's? Any significant differences other than superficial diffs? TIA.

I don't think there is any difference. Only a difference in late model 3.8's

headlights? cats?

Besides the obvious DOT regulations like amber corner light housings and gauges, dash padding design, trim options, etc....there is a slight difference in power and the ecu chip. In Europe, they don't have the same check engine light regulations we do and they also have higher octane gasoline, so there is a few HP extra in the ecu tuning. I have run aftermarket chips tuned for 91 and 93 octane for Euro and US cars. I can run both safely in my US 3.6L.

Here is important info: if you purchase a chip made for europe, your check engine light may not go on if there is something wrong going on.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    Besides the obvious DOT regulations like amber corner light housings and gauges, dash padding design, trim options, etc....there is a slight difference in power and the ecu chip. In Europe, they don't have the same check engine light regulations we do and they also have higher octane gasoline, so there is a few HP extra in the ecu tuning. I have run aftermarket chips tuned for 91 and 93 octane for Euro and US cars. I can run both safely in my US 3.6L.

Here is important info: if you purchase a chip made for europe, your check engine light may not go on if there is something wrong going on.
    Brandon I'm looking at your sig and the 525 sounds like a hell of acar. Do you have any pics you could post up?
    -Mike

Thanks guys! I didn't think there were any significant differences either. I was chatting with someone earlier today that told me that there was a difference in the cylinder head. The guy must have been thinking of the 3.8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J

can I ask you how much trouble it was to swap the S38 in, and if you would do it again given what you know now?

Quote Originally Posted by RockJock
    eurospec 3.6L M5's and the North American 3.6L M5's? Any significant differences other than superficial diffs? TIA.
    The cost of re-tooling would be enormous so I assume the engines will be the same. From photographic evidence I conclude the only difference is that the N American E34s are shinier. If such a word exists

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    ---snip---From photographic evidence I conclude the only difference is that the N American E34s are shinier. If such a word exists
    why yes, yes it does herr whiskychaser

adj. shin·i·er, shin·i·est
    1. Radiating light; bright.
    2. Bright from reflected light; glistening.
    3. Having a sheen from being rubbed or worn smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by RockJock
    why yes, yes it does herr whiskychaser

adj. shin·i·er, shin·i·est
    1. Radiating light; bright.
    2. Bright from reflected light; glistening.
    3. Having a sheen from being rubbed or worn smooth.
    I am impressed. A man with an accurate sense of both genealogy and humour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast