GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed about Short Shift Kit please

really? i didn't find the e46 to have that long of a throw in the 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    really? i didn't find the e46 to have that long of a throw in the 5 speed.
    Compared to my car it was alot
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    Turbo-in response to your question about % throw I have no idea but it's a very short throw I drove an E46 with a standard 5-spd the other day and couldn't believe how long the throw is! the shifts on mine are nice and short and the BMW perfect snick-snick when shifting. I guess the SSK is notchier than standard but not bad. I now know I could never be without an SSK
    Mike I have a 2003 e46 325i 5 speed, bought new, and actually found the throw to be a bit shorter and more crisp compared to most cars I have driven.

Being honest with you, I think I have shifted the fastest with superb accuracy when on the track driving the e46. I can shift the e46 so fast I can actually remain full throttle between shifts. I would like to maintain that shift speed as best as I can on my 335ist project car, can't get the same but hopefully close to.

The e46 seems rather forgiving when power shifting, the clutch engagement is very smooth as compared to my buddies 5 speed e34 535i.

I can just imagine how short the throw is with the SSK you have.

The new design of the UUC SSK, the EVO3, facilitates an adjustable height, they also claim a 20% effort reduction, which translates to less notchy shifting.

I am slowly leaning to that kit, wish someone here had installed it who can give us user feedback.

Thanks again guys for all the replies.
    Last edited by Turbo Ready; 10-10-2007 at 09:34 PM.
    BMW, THE ULTIMATE FLYING MACHINE

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
    THANK THE GERMANS, BMW HAS ALL 3

Don't get me wrong the E46 325Ci is one of the best cars ever made in my book. In fact I'd rather have a 325 over an M3. I have to say the earlier 325's like 2000 to about 03 had more of a touchy clutch I've never had trouble with it but I remember othert people stalling it all the time w/e. You should jjust spend the extra cash and get the UUC because if you don't you gonna always be wishing you had
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Son
    Don't get me wrong the E46 325Ci is one of the best cars ever made in my book. In fact I'd rather have a 325 over an M3. I have to say the earlier 325's like 2000 to about 03 had more of a touchy clutch I've never had trouble with it but I remember othert people stalling it all the time w/e. You should jjust spend the extra cash and get the UUC because if you don't you gonna always be wishing you had
    I don't think you were bashing the e46 at all, did not get that impression, hey don't bash my car

"You should jjust spend the extra cash and get the UUC because if you don't you gonna always be wishing you had"

^^^^ I agree with you, will do that, the new UUC EVO3 SSK has some really good upgrades, mainly the pivot bearing, adjustable height and all stainless steel one piece shift lever. I am also considering their DSSR (double shear selector rod) as well.

Thanks Mike for taking the time to respond

any decrease in throw must increase the effort.....right?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    any decrease in throw must increase the effort.....right?
    Theoretically yes, because you are decreasing leverage, however, companies like UUC, use pivot bearings, stainless steel shift levers and heavier shift knobs which can all help to reduce effort.

If you read the UUC write up n the new EVO3 SSK, they explain the design mechanism to facilitate a smother, less notchy with reduced effort shifting,

Don't have any first-hand experience but everyone I have talked to that runs the UUC Evo SSK has told me it's simply amazing, "perfect" is a word often used to describe it
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    Don't have any first-hand experience but everyone I have talked to that runs the UUC Evo SSK has told me it's simply amazing, "perfect" is a word often used to describe it
    Thanks so much for the input, you guys have helped me decide, it will be UUC.
    No one had anything negative to say about the UUC EVO3, so I think it's the way to go for sure.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Ready
    Thanks so much for the input, you guys have helped me decide, it will be UUC.
    No one had anything negative to say about the UUC EVO3, so I think it's the way to go for sure.

Thanks again.
    Great Let us know what its like when you get it
    -Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast