GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fix one thing and another goes...

Default Fix one thing and another goes... (onto coolant issues)

The DIY mechanic work never ends!!!!! I seem to be fixing something and then finding something else needs doing straight after!!!! I love it and hate it at the same time!

When i bought the car there was a knocking over rough terrain and i replaced the rear subframe bushes (with great difficulty i might add), and that sorted it out (about 5k miles ago). Since i have replaced the front/rear sway bar links, rear brake discs/pads... Then both lower control arms.

A couple of weeks ago i was getting another knocking noise from the rear, which turned out to be the rear pitman arms which i replaced with lemforder ones and all was well.

Now about two weeks later i'm getting the knocking noise again from the rear, so i checked all bolts were torqued correctly, which they are. It sounds much like the noise i got when the subframe bushes were goosed. I used main dealer parts so i don't expect them to be gone after 5k miles am i right? The noise is loud and very annoying over even slightly uneven roads, as it just knocks and knocks and knocks.

I'm at a loss about what it could be, any ideas welcomed, what should i check?
    Last edited by e34.535i.sport; 09-06-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: updated title...
    1995 XJR: 4.0L S/charged straight 6 Auto

What... It's not broken??? I can still fix it

Sounds like you're getting it sorted out. Here's part of the problem. We're driving cars with over 100k miles on them, sure there's parts that wear, and when they're replaced, it puts strain on the next weak link. So the love/hate relationship continues, it's a good thing your car has an owner like you.

You might try this...

With the car parked, bounce on the rear bumper up and down to try to simulate the knocking sound. (leave the e-brake off, it will make noise if you don't) If you still can't get the car to replicate the sound, go around to the rear wheel well and reach down and pick up on the inside of the fender and see if the sound is when the suspension is retracting. If you can replicate the sound while doing this, you'll need another body to help pinpoint where the noise is located.

What comes to mind are rear shocks, mounts and even broken springs. Good luck with your search.

JR

Thanks JR, I love getting my hands dirty under the car and the guy who done the MOT recently was impressed witht the shape it was in and all the new sparkly stuff underneath!!!! After a few hard jobs recently i was just hoping for a months rest!

I'll give that a go tomorrow in the daylight, although i'd hope the shocks and springs don't need replacing as i have the M-tech suspension like yourself and as you'll know it aint cheap.

I'll report back tomorrow, its really bugging me so i'll be getting under straight after work. Said i'd help a friend change his discs/pads all round on his e36 tomorrow too... no rest for the wicked!!!!

Can't wait to sort this one out.

Does the rear end have roll bar droplinks on it?

Open one of the rear doors, grab the frame and shake the car from side to side to see if it will make the knocking noise

Someone been gettin busy in the back seat?
    Theres some positions the kama sutra just can't even come close to.
    Oh!
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Yah, did you leave something in the Trunk?...lol
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

yeah rear droplinks maybe? have you replaced the trailing arm bushes? also consider the shock mounts

Hi guys, really panicking now. In an unrelated issue i started the car about an hour ago and the battery light was flickering, then stayed on, then faded out... As i'm reversing off the drive a loud hi-pitched squeal comes from somewhere (sounded like when my friends idler wheel was goosed on his e36)... Then the coolant light comes on - when i only topped it up and put some leak-stop stuff in a few days ago?

The other noise has also got worse and sounds sometimes like something rubber rubbing against something, and other times like a knocking. I can produse it sometimes when i drive straight and then turn the wheel side to side and make the cars weight shift from side to side. Its in my head that its something to do with the pitmans or the subframe bushes. I got the car up and the wheel off the left hand rear (where the sound mainly comes from) and tried to reproduce the sound and the only thing i could find was the exhaust heatshield was loose... I secured that but no luck. The pitmans seem fine and the bolts are tight, and i think the beercans are ok too but it was difficult to tell.

I'm also getting creaking noises from the front when im stationary and turn the wheels - sounds like the new rubber on the new control arm bushes is rubbing on the housings?

I feel like the car is falling apart around me, i'm leaving it at home tomorrow as i'm worried about driving it.

Trailing arm bushes i haven't replaced, but they look ok from what i can see of them? Is there a way to check them for wear? I've heard people refer to bothe the rear swaybar links and the rear pitman arms as rear droplinks but i've changed both of those, and followed the correct procedure and torqued the bolts correctly where possible.

I know very little about the shocks and the mountings, but i'm assuming you mean at the top where it meets the body? How can i check if this is the problem?

Squeeling sounds like the belt that goes on the altenator and the powersteering pump. Check it, tighten or replace.
    Jon M
    '88 E34 535i 5spd
    Iceland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast