Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: OT Ever see the doccumentary Sicko?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    . We in the US can go to any hospital anywhere besides here, including France and Cuba and get as good of or better care than here...without insurance and not even being a citizen there and not walk out with a single bill...unless you count the 5 breather the lady needed that cost 120 here. King George can kiss my ass.

    That's not true...if you don't have a medicare card in canada (ie, you are not a citizen) it's a minimum of 100 dollars up front before anyone will even register you in emergency, and you will be billed for the entire cost of your visit and for any tests that were performed, etc. We don't give away free healthcare to non-citizens. Even Canadian citizens who don't present a valid health card are in the same boat.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    295

    Default

    no kidding. i have to pay for my own insurance now, so i cant even go to a doctor or hospital unless i get hit by a bus or something, because i pay everything up to i think 3000 bucks.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    475

    Default M Moore and the truth...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Tyler
    In Australia it isn't free as such, every taxpayer pays 3% extra and then some are encouraged (by way of paying more when there income goes beyond 50k?) to have private coverage as well. I am not sure of the figures, well I don't get that kind of money!
    Oh and about the movie MM is a lying fat f**k.
    Yes, Moore did cherry pick his story pieces. Of course, any health care system will have its horror stories, unfortunately. But he did several apples to oranges comparisons to make his case stronger.

    Having spent the last 16 years in the US military medical system (gotta love vitaman M for everything), I am in no hurry for 'universal' health care. There ain't nothing like getting prescribed a bottle of 800mg Motrin (100 tabs) for the same problem two days in a row. Even after telling the 'doc' that I can't take the pills without them eating a hole in my gut. Even after telling him I would flush all 198 pills down the toilet because I had to get the perscription filled or face 'not following doctor's orders.' Luckily doc three on the third day had a clue and gave me some hot-rod Alleve which took care of the problem. I have other horror stories (how about almost getting a below-the-knee amputation for a basketball injury?) from the military 'health' care system but I ask you to trust that bad things can happen no matter who is running the show. The difference in a competitive system is the quacks get run out of business eventually.

    Brian

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    1,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indierthanthou
    no kidding. i have to pay for my own insurance now, so i cant even go to a doctor or hospital unless i get hit by a bus or something, because i pay everything up to i think 3000 bucks.
    In the UK, the NHS is berated a lot because it's generally craptacular... however after reading this, I'm glad that it exists.

    Everyone's entitled to be healthy and go and visit their GP for any reason, no matter how small it is. Having an 'excess' on that would drive me with fear about having to visit a doctor etc.

    EDIT: Having said that we do pay a second 'tax' to fund it called National Health Insurance. Everyone pays this as tax on their income regardless, upto a certain maximum amount. It's not a huge amount, but it's probably comparable to most private health plans.
    Last edited by Ferret; 08-12-2007 at 12:19 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    383

    Default

    I have not seen the documentary but do know that Michael Moore conveniently forgot to mention all of the cases where people come to the US for treatment because of long waiting lists on surgeries that could mean the difference between life and death if not taken care of immediately.

    I think people should also look at the idea of UHC from the standpoint of how well the government as spent all of the other money set aside such as Social Security, which is basically bankrupt now. There are many other areas in which money has been mismanaged that pretty much removes all trust I have in the government to give me whatever healthcare I need when I need it.

    Call me a selfish SOB if you like, but I'd rather pay for my own personal health care instead of contributing to everyone's healthcare, particularly those who do not contribute to it. Anyway, thats my 2 cents

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff
    I have not seen the documentary but do know that Michael Moore conveniently forgot to mention all of the cases where people come to the US for treatment because of long waiting lists on surgeries that could mean the difference between life and death if not taken care of immediately.

    I think people should also look at the idea of UHC from the standpoint of how well the government as spent all of the other money set aside such as Social Security, which is basically bankrupt now. There are many other areas in which money has been mismanaged that pretty much removes all trust I have in the government to give me whatever healthcare I need when I need it.

    Call me a selfish SOB if you like, but I'd rather pay for my own personal health care instead of contributing to everyone's healthcare, particularly those who do not contribute to it. Anyway, thats my 2 cents
    He STILL lies about the wait for medical procedures in Canadian hospitals. He swears up and down that there is no wait, whereas if you ask any Canadian they'll laugh at you for suggesting it. He's a lying fat sack of crap and this nation simply can't afford nationalized healthcare, at least not while the War On Terror is still in full swing.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Regional NSW, Australia
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Tyler
    In Australia it isn't free as such, every taxpayer pays 3% extra and then some are encouraged (by way of paying more when there income goes beyond 50k?) to have private coverage as well. I am not sure of the figures, well I don't get that kind of money!
    Oh and about the movie MM is a lying fat f**k.
    I never suggested that Medicare was free in Oz.

    Everyone over a certain income pays a levy, but lower income earners and pensioners do not.

    Private insurance is encouraged in various ways including flat rates with ageing, however the beauty of the system is that even though I have private health insurance I can be admitted to a hospital as a public patient if I so choose.

    In other words, the patient is in control and has a choice. This is its advantage, in my opinion.


    "I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff

    Call me a selfish SOB if you like, but I'd rather pay for my own personal health care instead of contributing to everyone's healthcare, particularly those who do not contribute to it. Anyway, thats my 2 cents

    this is one of the largest fundamental differences between canadians and americans.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    2,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J.DeFeo
    He STILL lies about the wait for medical procedures in Canadian hospitals. He swears up and down that there is no wait, whereas if you ask any Canadian they'll laugh at you for suggesting it. He's a lying fat sack of crap and this nation simply can't afford nationalized healthcare, at least not while the War On Terror is still in full swing.
    ummm, it really depends on the procedure, many procedures have extremely small wait times. I'm a Canadian, btw. Don't know if you are.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    3,105

    Default Moore is a douche bag

    he should move to one of those full coverage countries.


    Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •