GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: 135? When was this announced...?

Default OT: 135? When was this announced...?

it's gonna have a DSC, that's LSD when it's turned off. brilliant!!

btw, it was announced about a month ago

im definatley going to save up for one of these.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

any ideas what pricing will be?
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

Forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I was under the impression bmw generally didn't build cars/engines with a stock turbo. And I always liked that about them, from what I read there are a lot of good reasons for not using a turbo. I had always thought that turbos are a cheap hack to get extra power. Its fine when modifying a car for fun, but a good engineer could design an engine with no need for such a thing. One of the fastest bimmers the z4 M accelerates 0-60 in 4.9 with the S54B32 3.2L engine and from what I can find it has no turbo. Even the S70 engine powering the McLaren F1 was naturally aspirated.

Gordon Murray insisted that the engine for this car[McLaren F1] be normally-aspirated to increase reliability and driver control. Turbochargers and superchargers increase power but they increase complexity and can decrease reliability as well as the ability of the driver to maintain maximum control of the engine.
    With that said, wouldn't a turbo no longer make it the drivers car?

I have never driven anything with a turbo, and maybe thats why im so skeptical.

Forced induction the only way to go.

With that said, wouldn't a turbo no longer make it the drivers car?

I have never driven anything with a turbo, and maybe thats why im so skeptical.[/QUOTE]
    M20 525/7 Bore: 84.50mm Stroke 81mm CR 8.5:1, blue printed/dyno & custom chip. Boost @ 6.5psi ~246hp @ 5300rpm / torque @ 269ftlbs. @ 4250rpm

I doubt BMW engineers skimp on skills when designing a turbo setup that retains the linear power of an engine. I'm sure the 335i is a fantastic, smooth car to drive, and can't wait for the 135!! What an awesome machine!

Old car: 95 525i, OB/Silver, Eibachs, Style 66, Missed dearly!!
    VIN Decoder | Online ETK
    | E34 Bible

Quote Originally Posted by infurno
    Forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I was under the impression bmw generally didn't build cars/engines with a stock turbo.
    They did have the 745 that was a stock turbo m30, but it has been a mainstay of BMW to offer high performance NA cars, which I agree has a certain beauty to it. Squeezing 100 HP per litre from an NA car is a respectable challenge, especially when you're over 2 litres.

I trust the BMW motorheads spent a long time designing it to be robust and powerful, and it's nice to see they have an open mind to trying new things.

Plus - hard to argue with, I forget the actual numbers, but something like 300 ft-lbs of torque from 800 to 4000 RPM?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    They did have the 745 that was a stock turbo m30, but it has been a mainstay of BMW to offer high performance NA cars, which I agree has a certain beauty to it. Squeezing 100 HP per litre from an NA car is a respectable challenge, especially when you're over 2 litres.
    Obviously couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    I trust the BMW motorheads spent a long time designing it to be robust and powerful, and it's nice to see they have an open mind to trying new things.
    Thats a good point.

I don't mean to offend anybody. Was just curious.

I think the biggest reason BMW came out with a turbo engine is because its seems to be a growing trend in the automotive industry to go turbo. But personally I prefer a NA engine anyway, to me it likes a painting, (takes alot of engineering) and a turbo engine is like a picture, (bolt on a turbo and your done). My opinion.

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast