GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Control arm confusion :S

Default Control arm confusion :S

I'm about to replace all front end control bushings with Powerflex bushings (thanks for the suggestion!), and am currently looking for new arms as well.
    I see there are two type of arms, steel and aluminium. I've got a '93 540, which I gather use aluminium arms as does the M5 & 535?

Therefore I guess I need to replace the arms like for like? Or am I missing something here?!

TIA

aluminium arms might have been std on the m5 i dont think any other model had them as std,unless they were part of a sports pack or something.You dont have to use aluminium even if your car has aluminium arms,i guess it lowers unsprung weight a bit.
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by choccibicci
    I'm about to replace all front end control bushings with Powerflex bushings (thanks for the suggestion!), and am currently looking for new arms as well.
    I see there are two type of arms, steel and aluminium. I've got a '93 540, which I gather use aluminium arms as does the M5 & 535?

Therefore I guess I need to replace the arms like for like? Or am I missing something here?!

TIA
    Given that aluminium will be dearer than steel, there is no reason that you can't use steel, but as Paul said it weighs more. I think Jeff (632 Regal) replaced his with steel if I recall correctly.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Given that aluminium will be dearer than steel, there is no reason that you can't use steel, but as Paul said it weighs more. I think Jeff (632 Regal) replaced his with steel if I recall correctly.
    The TDS is fitted with alu as standard - I've just changed em to new steel and havent looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    I changed my TCAs and Thrust bushes last weekend, ali TCAs were fitted to the car but I've replaced them with steel ones - saved some cash in the process as the ali ones are more expensive. The ali arms are slightly bigger in size (that's cross section - not length )

I didn't think to weigh them and the steel one to compare the difference, but I don't think there's very much in it...

Who do I love Most - Wife, Kids or Car...
    Wife's always moaning, Kids always yelling...
    OK - The Car Wins!!