GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: aux fan dead, is there replacement besides stock?

Default aux fan dead, is there replacement besides stock?

Folks
    The aux fan on my 93 525 Touring is dead and in stop and go traffic wit the AC on she is heating up a bit. Is there anyone who has succesfully used a cheaper aftermarket fan instead of the $300 dollar stock fan? TIA

Ryan Brenneman
    93 525iT A little hot under the collar
    92 325i mostly track car

Unregistered Guest

Default did you check the fuses. there are

two fuses one for low and one for high. the ac in my car would get hot in traffic but cold on the highway. the problem was the low speed fuse. also someone had posted a fix on the inside of the fan. the glue comes off all you have to do is glue it back. check these things before you spend the money. also check connection. maybe connect straight power to see if it moves might be a bad switch. let us know what happens with the results.

Default thanks i will check fuses

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    two fuses one for low and one for high. the ac in my car would get hot in traffic but cold on the highway. the problem was the low speed fuse. also someone had posted a fix on the inside of the fan. the glue comes off all you have to do is glue it back. check these things before you spend the money. also check connection. maybe connect straight power to see if it moves might be a bad switch. let us know what happens with the results.

Ryan, I've got a good used one for $140 delivered.

Thanks, Bret.

it's usually the resister killing the low speed and the fuse does not like it when the fan starts off in high and blows
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Aside from the fuses...

I believe there are 2 temp sensors (I think) connected to the side of the radiator. A low temp limit and a high temp limit for the aux fan. You might want to check those as well. At least, this is the case for the m30.

Default Correction to my post.

It's actually one sensor or switch with 2 aux fan speed settings. Check if faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    I believe there are 2 temp sensors (I think) connected to the side of the radiator. A low temp limit and a high temp limit for the aux fan. You might want to check those as well. At least, this is the case for the m30.

Default Check the ballast resistor 1st . . .

It's quite common for the ballast resistor to blow, ~$27. check this link for troubleshooting it before replacing the fan:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_20.htm

If the fan is totally locked up, sometimes it's due to the magnets coming loose and in that case, the motor can be opened up (Dremmel tool) and the magnets epoxied back in place (be sure to note polarity of the magnets).

There are aftermarket direct replacement brand new complete fan assemblies available for about $190 & there is a vendor in Atlanta on e-bay who always has them with "Buy it Now" for a similar price. I've bought from them before & had good service.

Another source is Car Parts Wholesale:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com

part no. 64541392913
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!