GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Filters

Default Air Filters

How many do you guys use after market filters? Is it worth switching to them or stick with stock?

I use Hengst, Mann and now Meyle for engine air filter. Cabin filter, I am using my last one that I had but will be using whatever is available... no need for factory filter. You just have to change them yearly or every other year if you want to see the black stuff.

Best bang and longer lasting option are the Mann/Meyle OE filters. Unless you are drag racing with a supercharger, you aren't gonna see more HP unless you do a MAF conversion or the like. Although alot of folks do use those oil and clean air filters, it's not worth it overall. That's my opinion. And I'm not a mechanic, so take it with a grain of salt. But from what I've read, it don't do **** with a standard setup besides waste your time.

K & N was the only filter that I tested which ,while not decreasing power like a lot of others,flowed as well as new when partially clogged.Some green fancy looking thing actually lost me 8hp, and all the rest tested gained no power and clogged with ease.Standard Mann filter did well but the intake tube proved very restrictive. The best result was an oven moulded tube from above intercooler to standard box with K & N panel in it,nominal power gain untill big cooling fan turned on, then 14hp.Forget flash, go simple.

I use OEM - I tried an air filter from Halfords (a British car parts supplier - but they mainly supply own brand rather than OEM) and the Halfords air filter had fewer pleats, and hence less surface area, compared to the OEM filter.

The extra money on OEM seems well worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I use OEM - I tried an air filter from Halfords (a British car parts supplier - but they mainly supply own brand rather than OEM) and the Halfords air filter had fewer pleats, and hence less surface area, compared to the OEM filter.

The extra money on OEM seems well worth it to me.
    I've put a Halfrauds filter in my flatmates Mazda 323F and it's totally choked the engine. Refused to pick up at all and drank fuel...

hengst.
    Mark

1999 M3 Cosmos Black/ Black 78k
    1994 540i Oxford Green/ Silver Grey Sold @ 133k
    1995 M3 Arctic Silver/Black Sold @ 117k
    1990 325i Zinnobar Red/Black Sold @ 115k

I heard, BMC filters are the best! They supply the airfilters to almost all Formula 1 teams, so I guess that speaks volumes for their products.
    (Expensive tho)

http://www.bmcairfilter.com/infoACC.asp
    Last edited by krzysiom5; 07-01-2007 at 06:48 PM.
    '93 DaytonaViolett M5 (US)
    221+K miles...
    PowerChip...

K&n for me. if it's approved for aircarft it should be fine for my bimmer.

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

never again willI use a K&N... the only reason I ever had one was becasue you hav e ot run an open filter on a DSM to upgrade the Piping, and the K&N was the biggest , longest, largest surface area of all the filters. what a freaking pita, cleaning and reoiling that thing every couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast