GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woo! I think the last of my parts came!

Default Woo! I think the last of my parts came!

I think I am done buying parts. I went a little overboard in what I am replacing but I figured do it right the first time and not regret things later. So I am doing all of the chains, all of the chain guides, tensioner, oil press sender (yeah, i dunno why either), I sourced 30 new oil pan bolts to keep my powder coated beauty looking perfect, sourced new main bolts, valve stem seals for the non vanos head, and all oil related gaskets and seals are brand new. Its hard to find some of these parts - I used autohausaz.com for most of them but they don't have everything.

Stuff not in the picture is valve cover gaskets (all), some plastic cover caps, new caps for the valve cover, and some dowels for the flywheel/crank/etc.

ARP studs, and a 0.140" MLS are here also.

To be combined with these parts:

It should, hopefully, be one of the cleanest engine rebuilds I have seen! Just need to find a little bit more money to go to the machine shop and get the block decked and honed, the head checked, and then powder coat the block and head. I am going to probably be soda blasting my head this weekend and re-assembling it once it's checked out up at Jays shop.

Progress feels good!

Might need one order for miscellaneous stuff I may have forgot, but this is looking good.

Default Have you seen...

....a doctor about this...?

Just kidding, happy for you, and yes, does look marvelous, and look forward to more pix of the progress and results, as always!

I'm sure you're aware many of us vicariously upgrade our E34s through you.

Cheers,
    Rob sends....
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Quote Originally Posted by RobPatt
    ....a doctor about this...?
    Haha you are not the first one to recommend this

What is an MLS Jon?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    What is an MLS Jon?

Sorry Ross - MLS == Multi-Layered Steel. Headgasket is comprised of layers of steel rather than paper/rubber/crap like an OE gasket. Not to say OE isn't good, but the MLS gaskets use a spacer portion that space the head off the block to reduce compression.

Here is an image:

....which is only really important / desireable in FI cars

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo
    ....which is only really important / desireable in FI cars

Right. Or cars with the heads machined (like when people warp them).

But still, an MLS gasket is a great investment on a stock car also. They are much stronger. I am using ARP head studs and MLS gasket... the studs are way stronger and more consistent than OE head bolts, and the gasket is way more durable. If someone were rebuilding their stock motor to last longer I would immediately recommend ARP studs and an MLS stock size gasket.

I was just re-reading your post and didn't see a head gasket mentioned and was curious about what kind you intended to endure the abuse that is sure to be heaped upon it. Do you still use prevailing torque fasteners? Are you going to studs? Just how much boost are you giving it?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    I was just re-reading your post and didn't see a head gasket mentioned and was curious about what kind you intended to endure the abuse that is sure to be heaped upon it. Do you still use prevailing torque fasteners? Are you going to studs? Just how much boost are you giving it?
    MLS = headgasket and I assume ARP bolts?

Woo woo!! All those shiney, new parts just gave me goose bumps. We're all a bunch of sickos!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast