GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: is my tranny fixable?

Default is my tranny fixable?

i have a '91 525i Automatic with 190XXX

The past few months i have had a trans problem. When at a dead stop I step on the gas and the engine just revs. Then a second later it the trans will catch and jerks the car forward. This only happens when at a dead stop, once im in higher gears its fine. Also it is less frequent when the car has reached a warm temp. I flushed and refilled the trans fluid and it stop for about 3 months then started to happening again. My mechanic said another flush wont fix it so it just has to be replaced. I really dont want to spend all that money on a new trans. Is there anyone who would know exactly what my problem is and a way to fix it. If not I might have to consider selling my car. Im also going to check junk yards for a new trany is there a price range I should be shooting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Kulasstar
    i have a '91 525i Automatic with 190XXX

The past few months i have had a trans problem. When at a dead stop I step on the gas and the engine just revs. Then a second later it the trans will catch and jerks the car forward. This only happens when at a dead stop, once im in higher gears its fine. Also it is less frequent when the car has reached a warm temp. I flushed and refilled the trans fluid and it stop for about 3 months then started to happening again. My mechanic said another flush wont fix it so it just has to be replaced. I really dont want to spend all that money on a new trans. Is there anyone who would know exactly what my problem is and a way to fix it. If not I might have to consider selling my car. Im also going to check junk yards for a new trany is there a price range I should be shooting for?
    There are loads of posts on here about tranny problems so I would do a search before you throw in the towel. Search may also help you identify whoever had a good one up for sale on here recently. I cant give you US prices but breakers in the UK want £250-£450. Reconditioned is around £1200. Thats for a 5HP18 but I think you may have a GM box.

632 regal has one for your car I believe @$450
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

you might as well put a new torque converter in it while you have it out.
    I think IPT even has upgraded ones.

It is most likely the seal problem... where? Either clutchpack or the electroservo... with that kind of mileage on the transmission, I'd rebuild it or put in a cheap used one.