GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 85c Behr T-Stat, too cool for M60?

Default 85c Behr T-Stat, too cool for M60?

I changed lower hose, clamps, T-stat, T-stat housing and aux fan temp switch recently due to coolant leak at plastic T-stat housing. The new one is aluminium. No more leak!

I noticed that the old T-stat has BMW stamp on it (probably orginal) and the temp is 95c. But my new T-stat (Behr) is 85c. Is that OK for M60? I noticed that my temp gauge is now slightly lower than 12 o'clock when fully warmed up. It used to be slightly higher than 12 o'clock. 10c cooler, Is this a good thing for M60? Better or worst MPG?
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

bump.

Guys, any comment at all?

I have installed the same 85C t-stat and 80-88c auxfan temp sensor...my temp reading now is a little bit below 12oclock... works fine for me since i live in a tropical country...for me haven't noticed any change in fuel consumption...only the engine is a bit cooler

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrp8
    I have installed the same 85C t-stat and 80-88c auxfan temp sensor...my temp reading now is a little bit below 12oclock... works fine for me since i live in a tropical country...for me haven't noticed any change in fuel consumption...only the engine is a bit cooler
    I just realized my new aux fan switch is 91-99c. This doesn't match with my new T-stat. Should I be worry about this? Will the aux fan be on at all (ac off) if this is the case?

not until you reach the certain temp.if the ac is off i think 99...but why not change your switch to 80-88?

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

ive got the 85c tstat and 80/88 degree fan switch, no problems here. Did you remove the clutch fan?

1995 BMW 530ia/3.15lsd/M Parallels/Eibach/Bilstien/Magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by Boone.Msi
    ive got the 85c tstat and 80/88 degree fan switch, no problems here. Did you remove the clutch fan?
    No, I did not. I did not have to remove water pump either. The U-joint socket did the trick in removing the bolts on the intake side of the t-stat housing.

I was not aware of the aux fan switch temperature when ordering it from autohuaz (there is only one type to pick - switch and t-stat). Apperently, they are not in the same range. It doesn't get too hot here in the bay area. I guess I should be OK.

I need to make sure the aux fan runs when AC is on though. Last summer, I check (with a jumper), the aux fan is only on at high speed. Is this a fuse or relay issue? If yes, where they are located? I also heard about the aux fan resistor defect ($25) that could cause this low speed failure. Do you have to remove the bumper to replace it?

Thanks for the info guys!

if you didnt chip it I would revert to the hotter stat. BMW reprogrammed the computers on most M60 cars in an attempt to help the Nikasil issue and if your running a cooler stat then in theory the engine will never run correctly. This would apply even if the block was replaced to Alusil.

Quote Originally Posted by e34musician
    I changed lower hose, clamps, T-stat, T-stat housing and aux fan temp switch recently due to coolant leak at plastic T-stat housing. The new one is aluminium. No more leak!

I noticed that the old T-stat has BMW stamp on it (probably orginal) and the temp is 95c. But my new T-stat (Behr) is 85c. Is that OK for M60? I noticed that my temp gauge is now slightly lower than 12 o'clock when fully warmed up. It used to be slightly higher than 12 o'clock. 10c cooler, Is this a good thing for M60? Better or worst MPG?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

hmm... this is getting interesting. Can you please elaborate more on "engine will never run correctly"? I'm pretty sure mine is a nik.

How the performance chip will help? Is it because it is programmed for lower temp or wider temp range? I hate to re-do the t-stat. It's such a mess with coolant all over the place when removing the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    if you didnt chip it I would revert to the hotter stat. BMW reprogrammed the computers on most M60 cars in an attempt to help the Nikasil issue and if your running a cooler stat then in theory the engine will never run correctly. This would apply even if the block was replaced to Alusil.

performance chip is designed for cooler stat. Your stock chip is waiting for the engine to warm up which it never does...in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by e34musician
    hmm... this is getting interesting. Can you please elaborate more on "engine will never run correctly"? I'm pretty sure mine is a nik.

How the performance chip will help? Is it because it is programmed for lower temp or wider temp range? I hate to re-do the t-stat. It's such a mess with coolant all over the place when removing the housing.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast