GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toasted

Default Toasted

Thought you all would like a pic of this one that got dropped off at the shop last week. 02 E46.

Paul L

If I was a mechanic, I would probably not be able to restrain myself with the customer. I'd just have to...

How?
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    How?
    We suspect he never changed the oil although customer said it had regular oil changes at a quickie lube place. We have a $3000 used replacement engine sitting on the shop floor ready to swap out.

Paul L

I think Bill R or who is Winfred said that happens with synthetic too, I cant see synthetic doing it in my mind though.

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    We suspect he never changed the oil although customer said it had regular oil changes at a quickie lube place. We have a $3000 used replacement engine sitting on the shop floor ready to swap out.

Paul L
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Regular oil changes, eh? Don't think so...how many miles on that piece of scrap? Did any oil come out of it or did you scoop it out?

What a lousy way to try to save a couple of dollars.

I just did a valve cover gasket on mine at 190,000 miles and it was spotless. I was amazed at how clean it was. Using Mobil 1 since 120,000.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    Regular oil changes, eh? Don't think so...how many miles on that piece of scrap? Did any oil come out of it or did you scoop it out?

What a lousy way to try to save a couple of dollars.

I just did a valve cover gasket on mine at 190,000 miles and it was spotless. I was amazed at how clean it was. Using Mobil 1 since 120,000.
    As far as I know those" quikei oil change" places don't regularly stock the filters used in BMW's but even if he did bring it i saw a news expose where the crew took cars to these places with cameras strapped under the car and at least two places did ZERO to the car and they were BUSTED.He may have been such a witless victim . I have not paid less than $97 for an oil change other than the free one i had a couple of weeks ago from an Indy who gives coupons to customers to give away for free oil changes as l'ures for new business.

Last edited by Jehu; 04-25-2007 at 07:54 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    If I was a mechanic, I would probably not be able to restrain myself with the customer. I'd just have to...

It's 90% likely not the customer's fault. This has been happening with M5x and M6x engines for years now.

BMW's "extended oil change" service and "low maintenance" marketing is the cause. Customer is none the wiser.

In 8 years, all of the cars that are being sold now will need completely new drivelines. Engines, transmissions, differentials. They're all much more poorly constructed than ever before.

90% the result of the EPA and marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    As far as I know those" quikei oil change" places don't regularly stock the filters used in BMW's but even if he did bring it i saw a news expose where the crew took cars to these places with cameras strapped under the car and at least two places did ZERO to the car and they were BUSTED.He may have been such a witless victim . I have not paid less than $97 for an oil change other than the free one i had a couple of weeks ago from an Indy who gives coupons to customers to give away for free oil changes as l'ures for new business.
    That reminds me about those aftermarket oil filters, they don't seem to last on the extended oil change schedule. We pull them out in pieces all the time. What a mess.

This has been a few years back now but we once had a customer bring in their 95 540i automatic because it was running bad, 45k miles, they bought the car new from our dealership and it had never been back for a single oil change. It had never been anywhere else for an oil change. The oil level didn't touch the dipstick and it actually looked worse than this engine. Our dumb*** sales manager took it in on trade and then paid to have a $11k (at that time) engine installed. That 540i owner still owns BMWs, keeps buying them from us, but now make sure oil is changed regularly.

All the guys in the shop change their oil a little more regularly than the 15k miles. I personally think you're ok with a good synthetic for 15k miles but changing the oil filter every 3 or 4k miles is still a good idea. You don't want all that nasty stuff floating around in the oil for 15k miles do you? Changing the filter will get rid of it and just top off the oil. I run Mobil 1 in my S52 525iT and change the filter about every other month. I only live a couple of miles from work so I don't run up many miles. Come to think of it I haven't changed the oil since November of last year so maybe it's time (only 1700 miles since then).

Paul L

I know from experience with race cars and crap you loose a lot of power over 2500-3000 miles, its like putting a turbo on after changing the oil. As for synthetic I can tell a difference on my 5er at 6k so I try to change it at 5k but now with the mystery mileage issue ??? lol, had to add a quart so I think its ready for a change, usually need to change it at the 2nd quart adding time, burns about 1.5 qts at 5k and burns MUCH more after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul
    That reminds me about those aftermarket oil filters, they don't seem to last on the extended oil change schedule. We pull them out in pieces all the time. What a mess.

This has been a few years back now but we once had a customer bring in their 95 540i automatic because it was running bad, 45k miles, they bought the car new from our dealership and it had never been back for a single oil change. It had never been anywhere else for an oil change. The oil level didn't touch the dipstick and it actually looked worse than this engine. Our dumb*** sales manager took it in on trade and then paid to have a $11k (at that time) engine installed. That 540i owner still owns BMWs, keeps buying them from us, but now make sure oil is changed regularly.

All the guys in the shop change their oil a little more regularly than the 15k miles. I personally think you're ok with a good synthetic for 15k miles but changing the oil filter every 3 or 4k miles is still a good idea. You don't want all that nasty stuff floating around in the oil for 15k miles do you? Changing the filter will get rid of it and just top off the oil. I run Mobil 1 in my S52 525iT and change the filter about every other month. I only live a couple of miles from work so I don't run up many miles. Come to think of it I haven't changed the oil since November of last year so maybe it's time (only 1700 miles since then).

Paul L
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast