GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much should I pay for a front end alignment?

Default How much should I pay for a front end alignment?

I just called the local BMW dealer and they quoted me $170! Is it "better" to go to the dealer, or should I just pay a visit to the local mechanic?
    _

I got two new tyre's and got one done at the tyre place place for $65 new zealand dollers here they range from $50-70

It did not cross my mind to get it done at the $tealer.

Your local should be fine.
    Happy easter!
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

i don't know where you live, but where i live it costs between 50 and 70 dollars as well.

£20 tops at ats here in the u.k. indys will charge more depending on what system they use, but luckily for me i have access to all the right gear and can do it myself

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    I just called the local BMW dealer and they quoted me $170! Is it "better" to go to the dealer, or should I just pay a visit to the local mechanic?
    ouch, mine was $100 for a 4 wheel alignment. If they don't do the weighting, your alignment will not be to spec.

Quote Originally Posted by nizmainiac
    £20 tops at ats here in the u.k. indys will charge more depending on what system they use, but luckily for me i have access to all the right gear and can do it myself
    Where are you based?! You don't fancy having a crack at mine do you?! Twice its been done now, and it still pulls to the right!!

My suggestion is go to an alignment only shop. There, they only do alignment... day in, day out. Look them up in the phone book or superpages.com. They are the guy with most experience.

Some shop may look like they got old stuff... don't worry, they know what they are doing. I find that tire shops hate doing alignments... it takes too long and I just never see them set the alignment... For example I watch for my car to go in...gave up... then they brought my car in and done in a jiffy that I didn't even see my car on the lift. That is bad sign... very bad sign Why? because they didn't do it.

I know this because I did go to tech school and did do an alignment myself on the state of art machine at that time. It is not a 15 minutes job.

Quote Originally Posted by 525SEI BRIT
    Where are you based?! You don't fancy having a crack at mine do you?! Twice its been done now, and it still pulls to the right!!
    i'm in south devon

I tried every alignment only shop and other alighnment shop in town. None of them would touch it. Some said it wasn't in the computer, some gave the lame excuse (lie) that they needed an $800 tool. BMW charged me MAYBE $20 more than those places standard charge. It was worth the $20 for the standard wash, dry, and detail alone.

i usually pay $70 at firestone. never had a problem. the only adjustment is toe in the front.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast