GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hartge side skits, interest? (AU)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael999
    Ive just ordered some Hartge skirts http://www.hartge.de/html/e34uk.html
    And i thought to myself, i can make a mould from these.
    My dad is a boat builder and uses fibre glass and carbon fibre alot, done lots of moulds and for all sorts of things.
    I talked to him, and he said these will be quite easy to make.

We worked out that the mould will cost me around $150 to make, then around another $50 per set of skirts. (add $50 for carbon fibre per skirt).
    So my question is, does anyone want a set?
    I'm interested as well

hey, i forgot to ask. you're talking doing this in cf, right? i wouldn't be interested at all if you do fiberglass. i know i'd get it broken the first time i drove with it.
    SchwarzII 95 m50b25tu. smoked rear, clear front. bilstein/eibach, uuc flywheel/M5 clutch, RD strut and sway bars. VFE supercharged!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve0suprem0
    hey, i forgot to ask. you're talking doing this in cf, right? i wouldn't be interested at all if you do fiberglass. i know i'd get it broken the first time i drove with it.
    Unless it is has kevlar in the weave i think you'll find carbon fibre is more brittle than fibreglass.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    Unless it is has kevlar in the weave i think you'll find carbon fibre is more brittle than fibreglass.
    I'm happy with fibreglass, it's easy to fix

But some reinforceing webs would be a god idea- they would take some force at the average 150-240kmh I do along Sydney streets- especially over the median strips and railway crossings where I usually get so much air the car needs wings like an 'ReX... I'm surprised someone like fukem5 hasn't chimed in and told us all how to make em out of titanium CF with some rare earth polymers from a deep rock sub-strate only found under the Amazon... LOL

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Anyone here given a thought to the intellectual property rights of Hartge?

'90 E34 M5
    '89 E34 535i
    '74 R90S
    MB 560SEC
    '74 Jensen Interceptor
    '54++ VW Subaru Turbo hybrid
    etc

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella
    Anyone here given a thought to the intellectual property rights of Hartge?
    Whortge are they?

I think we are talking about reverse engineering them, not copying them outright. But it's not up to me, I'm not making them. Seriously though, I doubt Hartge need worry about cheap copies, they'd have gone out of business doing that.

Do they actually still make them for the e34? Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

well i didn't know about cf being more brittle than fiberglass. which is interesting. i've just started today the composites section of getting my a&p license, and i'll probably learn that sometime this week.

unfortunately, i'm an even bigger idiot in other reegards. i didn't even notice this was going on in australia. and i'm sure it wouldn't be cheap or cost effective to send this stuff to the states. so i'm sad to say, i'm out.
    SchwarzII 95 m50b25tu. smoked rear, clear front. bilstein/eibach, uuc flywheel/M5 clutch, RD strut and sway bars. VFE supercharged!!!

post a pix of the original and the one that you made

HID 5000k low 3000k fogs
    dynaudio seps. mc intosh amp
    ACS w/yokohama advan sport tires
    Race logic TractionControl

Quote Originally Posted by steve0suprem0
    well i didn't know about cf being more brittle than fiberglass. which is interesting. i've just started today the composites section of getting my a&p license, and i'll probably learn that sometime this week.
    well it is if its only carbon fibre with no kevlar. I remember reading one of Carroll Smith's books where he said they went from pure CF in F 1 chassis to CF with kevlar in the weave because CF does not absorb energy very well in a crash. This is because CF it is brittle and has a lower work of fracture than say aramid fibre (kevlar) reinforced polymer or GFRP. This is also the reason why they make bullet proof vests from kevlar and not carbon fibre is because its tough.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Carbon fibre has ENORMOUS tensile strength, its incredibly thin, a single layer once glued up, is going to be as thin as paper.
    Ill be making these reasonably thick from fibreglass.
    When i said an option of carbon fibre, i mean a single outside layer.
    Its far too expensive to do the entire thing from it, and it would be very thin, and face it, out cars arent really concerned with a couple of extra kilos anyways

Btw ill get pics up tonight of the originals before we start waxing them up.
    The actual mould wont begin for another week or so, wax needs to be applied once a day for about a week and then polished, this gets it into the pores, without this the resin sticks to my originals, and wet wax will cause a horrible surface finish. (hope i can get this wax off after to paint mine :P)

edit, as for Hartge's intelectual property rights, im making some replicas, a very small private run, no matter how hard i try i wont be getting them identical anyways, AND these have been out of production for many years.
    I cannot imagine that they would care even if they were told.
    11/88 535iA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast