GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stuck release knob in AT shift selector

Default stuck release knob in AT shift selector

Hi All,

The release lever underneath the AT shift knob is stuck inside. So its always in release position. Has anyone faced the same problem? Could someone shed light on how to repair it?

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

mine did this when the material that slides infront and behind the lever in the console, other than that you probably need to dissasemble the thing.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

does it look something like a T. if so the best thing is to try and find a spring or somting that will fit under ther

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

The shifter lock is just a simple rod that is connected to the release button. My guess is that your spring has gone. Take the shifter knob off (Remove the screws on the shifter (they may be torq heads, can't remember) - they are on the bulk head side.) You can have a proper look at the switch, fiddle with it and it may release itself. Make sure you attach the rod properely when putting it back together.
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

Allen head I recall, 2.5mm?. The rod has a hole in it that accepts a rod connected to the button. If the hole gets broken out or the rod isn't in the hole the button will remain retracted I think. Easy enough to check anyhow.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinewhite
    Hi All,

The release lever underneath the AT shift knob is stuck inside. So its always in release position. Has anyone faced the same problem? Could someone shed light on how to repair it?

Thanks
    Arun
    I'm having the same problem sort of. The black release lever on the selector handle doesn't drop back down.

This link shows the handle and the pull rod. (unfortunately I wasn't able to paste the pic.

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim...5/ill-25_0056/

But I don't see any spring. I'm wondering if its a rod lubrication problem as if I jiggle the selector handle the lever will drop back down.

Hope this helps
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

But I don't see any spring. I'm wondering if its a rod lubrication problem as if I jiggle the selector handle the lever will drop back down.

I think the section of the T you squeeze to release the lever is the only bit with any spring in it. If you take it off and it doesnt feel 'springy' thats your problem. But the rod itself may just be a bit bent

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser

I think the section of the T you squeeze to release the lever is the only bit with any spring in it. If you take it off and it doesnt feel 'springy' thats your problem. But the rod itself may just be a bit bent
    I can't see anyway to take the T handle apart to see if there is a spring missing.....does anyone know?
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

Quote Originally Posted by jnmip
    I can't see anyway to take the T handle apart to see if there is a spring missing.....does anyone know?
    Step by step:
    1) Remove the handle using an allen wrench.
    2) Remove the white shifter rod from the pin inside the shifter.
    3) Reach in with needlenose pliers and remove the metal pin that is sticking out of the plastic button inside the handle.
    4) Swing out the plastic button as far as possible.
    5) There should be a spring inside the handle. If its missing you can use a socket holder from a common item called a Rail Socket Holder. Example:

I fixed my handle using one of these holders as a spring long ago and it still works great. I believe you need one of the smaller 3/8" holders for this.
    6) With the spring installed, swing the button back into the handle and reinstall the metal pin.
    7) Attach the white shift rod to the pin and reinstall the handle.
    8) Enjoy.

HTH

Nice solution, I'll have to try that this weekend. This is why this site works so well. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    Step by step:
    1) Remove the handle using an allen wrench.
    2) Remove the white shifter rod from the pin inside the shifter.
    3) Reach in with needlenose pliers and remove the metal pin that is sticking out of the plastic button inside the handle.
    4) Swing out the plastic button as far as possible.
    5) There should be a spring inside the handle. If its missing you can use a socket holder from a common item called a Rail Socket Holder. Example:

I fixed my handle using one of these holders as a spring long ago and it still works great. I believe you need one of the smaller 3/8" holders for this.
    6) With the spring installed, swing the button back into the handle and reinstall the metal pin.
    7) Attach the white shift rod to the pin and reinstall the handle.
    8) Enjoy.

HTH
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast