GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension upgrade 540i6 help

Default Suspension upgrade 540i6 help

Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of reading and the more I read the more I'm confused. Would everyone who has experience with suspension set up specifically in an e34 540i help me out? I love my car and would like to keep it for as long as I can afford to, so I'm willing to spend the money neccessary to fix/upgrade/mods.

The reason I can't make a decision yet on what I need to do is because I can't afford to cause more problems to the car. For example, a lot of people in here lower the suspension and some report excessive tire wear, bottoming out... etc.

I'm willing to spend some more for the right set up, but I can't afford to get a new set of tires every year.

Front wheels hubs are the only thing I've replaced so far on the car. EAT chip is going in next. My suspension really needs attention and I somewhat got pushed into buying a set of style 19 wheels/tires. A laundry list of things await : a/c, belts, brakes, fluids, door hatch trims, hood gas lifters, lower door trim.

I've considered taking the car to a good bmw mechanic and let him do an over all inspection on it to see what I need for the suspension. But my thinking is that since I'm going to keep the car for a long time, why not just replace every thing that it needs at 135k so I can enjoy it? Then after I've done everything I can, take it to a bmw pro for a ground up inspection.

So back to the suspension. Here's the priority list...

1) Ride comfort / Reliability (rubbing, uneven tires wear, alignment)

2) Handling/Looks (stance of the car, trying to avoid the SUV looks, slammed looks not neccessary)

3) Warranty (of the shocks/springs)

4) Price (It looks like around $800 for the shocks/springs alone, savings would be nice but not neccessary)

This is a wonderful forum and your insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by txp135; 03-21-2007 at 07:46 PM.

How big are style 19s? If it's 19inch that's big problem. These cars don't like a huge wheel.

You can safely lower the car. I say Eibach is best.

The rest of the information you seek like control arms etc. is already in this board and on bmwe34.net

If/when you do the shocks, the strut collar nut has to be torqed properly and it requries a dealer tool to get enough torque on it, strut should go to the dealer and have them press the shock in. 1/2 hr labor.
    Last edited by kick7ca; 03-21-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Thank you for your response. They are 17", I'm trying to preserve the ride and I don't think it's possible with 19". I wanted the style 5 but that will have to come later. I have the list of the rest of the suspension stuff I was considering and will post it after I choose the shocks and springs for critiques.

So you said Eibach springs, I've seen these recommended with bilsteins shocks? I've also seen a bunch of people wished they spent more and went with koni shocks instead of bilsteins. I'm willing to consider anything but from what I gathered.

Koni shock with Eibach or H&R

or Sachs Kit

Bear in mind the 17's will be a significantly lower profile tire than the stock tires - you said ride comfort is important. I'm very happy with just my Koni sports and a stock wheel/tire package. Eventually a 17" wheel/tire may go on the car, but the new shocks/struts really woke the car up.
    May the Schwarz be with you...

You got a manual 540i... it should have already come with Mtech springs... I would keep that. I have Eibach on my 540i... along with BIlstein. I love the Bilstein but hate the Eibach... at times, it can be rough. I would go to BMW dealer and print out what options you have on your car.

If you still want to swap out the springs... give me your old one. I believe they are M-tech... send me a pic and I should be able to see if it is M-tech from the gap of your wheels to the fenders. Heck, if you are closeby, we could do a swap... but that takes a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by txp135
    Thank you for your response. They are 17", I'm trying to preserve the ride and I don't think it's possible with 19". I wanted the style 5 but that will have to come later. I have the list of the rest of the suspension stuff I was considering and will post it after I choose the shocks and springs for critiques.

So you said Eibach springs, I've seen these recommended with bilsteins shocks? I've also seen a bunch of people wished they spent more and went with koni shocks instead of bilsteins. I'm willing to consider anything but from what I gathered.

Koni shock with Eibach or H&R

or Sachs Kit
    Bilstein HD or Sport are both excellent shocks also. I have Eibach / Bilstein sports and run 17s in the summer. While the ride can be harsh over large bumps, overall it is impressivly smooth, well damped and ultra stable. I recommend Eibach because you can trust them as a safe way to lower the car.

I'll try to post pictures later on. So 135K on original springs are okay? How long do they last? Where are you from Tiger? I'm from Hershey, PA. I was considering the M-tech springs too, but had no idea that it might already be on the car.

Please clarify what you hate about Eibach? Thanks...

txp. i have a bilstein/eibach setup on my 5 and love it. the drop is noticeable but not slammed and the ride isnt that bad. if you have 235k on your original suspension then i say its time for an overhaul. i also havd new tierods, thrust arms and control arms as well as idler arm and center link. car handles very nicely now.I see you are in hershy. Im in PA as well but in northeastern pennsylvania. i can take a ride down and give u a hand if you want. i have done the suspension on my car and its not hard. plus you will save a nice chunk of change.

if you want to keep the stock ride then id say bilstein HDs or Konis for a little more.

Also if you wanna get rid of those style 19s im interested. those are the wheels im looking to get.

Tiger, I posted the pictures. Awaiting your evaluation...

Markus, the car has 135K and I'm not sure suspension is original. That'll be awesome if you can come down since I want to learn how to do everything I can. And yeah, the reason is that I'm cash poor.

About the style 19s. I wasn't actually trying to buy them for myself, although they are really nice looking. My brother got into a little accident with the curb and needed at least 1 new rim. I bought a set of 5 kept the 4so I could save him some money. They are due to come in this weekend. I was planning to keep them until I can replace them with style 5. You get dibs if I decide to sell them.

I track my 94 e34 540. I also drive it as a DD. The set-up I am running is pretty tight. I have HR Sport Springs; Bilstien Sport Shocks; Racing Dynamics Adjustable Sways; Racing Dynamic Strut Brace; I run the aluminum Control arms with the M5 Bushing; I am running the Steel Thrust arms with the Grunt Bushings.

The car turns in really well and tracks beautifully through the turns. The ride is stiff. It is not a luxury performance sedan any more. However the fun quotient is way high. I recently decided that I would buy a dedicated track car as I have been doing more and more track events. So I bought an 1990 e30 M3. ( I could'nt afford an 850 like Regal)

So after picking the m3 up and bringing it home - I was sadly disappointed that the M3 doesnt handle as well as my 540! This presents an opportunity for me I guess as I get to mod another car and now I know what I want without having to experiment around. But the list of parts I have to buy not counting the safety equipment is extensive. here is the car: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2590691 I am extremely happy with the way the 540 turned out. I really enjoy the handling and sometimes look for corners to throw the car into. I just hope my m3 turns out as well when I am done - Jt
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast