GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: cylinder head questions

Default cylinder head questions

I have a 1989 735 that blew a head gasket. I got the head back from the machine shop and I do not know if I should use a oversize head gasket.
    On this particluar engine, will the valves hit if it is shaved too much. What is too much. I can still see 3 of the 4 dimples. I think he took off .016 to get it straight. Can I use the old head bolt. Also is this engine called the M30
    thanks

If you do not get an answer here from the members of the 5 series, which is more frequented,
    ask here, there are the E32 drivers
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/e32/page/0

Anytime anyone I know who has doen a headgasket, they have always replaced all the headbolts with brand new ones. ARP is a well recommended brand for headbolts.

Reason? When your torque them *make sure their tourqed in the right order* they stretch a little, when they have been on the car for 10 years, they have stretched alot and will not tourqe the same the second time around. I know a couple people who have done headgaskets and just reused them and head up doing another headgasket within a few months, not fun.

I'm not too sure about the oversized headgasket, subscribed for that answer though.