GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Jerking when accelerating from a stop

Default Jerking when accelerating from a stop

Hey Guys.

I've had this issue for some time now. I have replaced a couple of things (the usual suspects) but this only seems to "move" the problem".

When pulling out from a stop I have some vibration in the driveline/shaft. It seems to come from the rear axle on the left side. I have a manual transmission, so often I'm able to play with the gas/clutch and pull out smoothly. But I feel that I only wear the clutch excessively.

This problem was worse some time ago before I realized, that the center bearing was gone to h**l. This explained the loud knocking under the car :-)

Then the turn came to the guibo. It looked ok, but I changed it anyway. It helped, but still no cure.

Probably there have been a couple of things wrong, but I feel that I'm getting closer to the real problem. So something still is loose down there.

Any clues?

cv joints?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yes, the CV joints. In my searches on the forum the CV joints kept popping up in similar threads, but I can't seem to figure out where these are.

Could someone tell me
    a) Where are these located
    b) Is there a simple way of diagnosing the state of them?

they are under the axle boots.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Am I just looking for any play here, or is the problem more difficult to spot?

(Just preparing, so I'll know what I'm looking for once I'm down there)

Quote Originally Posted by NielsGalan
    Am I just looking for any play here, or is the problem more difficult to spot?

(Just preparing, so I'll know what I'm looking for once I'm down there)
    Hi Niels - checking the CV joints is pretty easy, I'd do it by taking them out of the car.

The half-shafts connect the diff to the rear hubs, and there are CV joints on both ends, four total on the car. There are six torx bolts holding each end of the half shafts to their mate, these are usually pretty tight and have loads of gook inside the torx head, so first thing to do is get a sharp pick and get all the road grime out. Skipping this step often leads to stripped bolts!

With some extensions and maybe a flex-joint you can get all 12 off without rotating the wheel, and the half shaft just drops out after that.

Check it for play by grabbing one end and torquing it back and forth from the other. A good half shaft will have no discernable play, and even if there is a little click it should be good enough not to cause problems.

I take it you have already rotated the tires and checked clearances to make sure something on the tire isn't out of whack or contacting the fender? Jacked up the rear axle and spun/wiggled to see if you can reproduce the sound?

HTH,

Robin
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5