GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got back from dealer--1995 525i with issues. Good deal?

Default Just got back from dealer--1995 525i with issues. Good deal?

Hey again guys,

Just got back from driving the '95 525i 5-speed. Single owner, 90k miles.

I drove over to my mechanic friend's house and he did a quick once-over and a trip around the block. Here's what he noted, and what he thought it would take to bring it back up to snuff:

- SRS Light came on and eventually went off after driving for a few minutes. He thought it could potentially be a few problems.
    Up to $500 fix

- Engine miss. Doesn't seem to be firing on 6 cylinders. Putty exhaust, rough idle, and unimpressive output from engine.
    $300-$500 fix

- Right rear tire needs replaced. Bridgestone Turanza.
    $150

- Alignment fix. Wheel off center.
    $69

- Few belts worn and should be replaced
    $100

Total for repairs could be $1000-$1300-ish.

The car is being sold as is for $6k-ish. What do you guys think? Are his estimates accurate, and are there any problems with the car that should be taken as reasons to NOT buy the car?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

NimbleCow

7500+ for a 525 and you still arent sure about the engine, sounds a bit high to me unless the interior and exterior are pristine. At that price all them little problems should have already been taken care of before it was put up for sale. Another thing is with all them problems the car does not seem to have been maintained and you may have a lot more problems down the road.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Talk them down... $5000 and in cash now.

If the miss is due to a messed up head, it's not a $300 fix. It's more like a $1000 fix, even if you replace the whole engine and do the work yourself.

It is a rare case when just one tire can be replaced. Unless the other side is near new, you'll want to replace both rear tires. How is the rear tire worn, and why is it more extreme than the other side? These cars have no rear alignment adjustment from the factory, so an out of spec rear means that you're going to be replacing bushings, trailing arms, or worse. And the alignment is a $45 job -- fronts only, and there's only one adjustment for them, too.

I wouldn't touch it without knowing what the miss is about. If it's pristine beyond that, it's a $5000 car. With problems, it's a $3000 car at best.

Can you get/see the previous owners records? If sold by a dealer, i think in most states, they are rquired ot give you the previous owner's name. Also, I would get it checked out by a BMW mechanic and get a written pre-purchase statement of items wrong or neededing normal service. Then get them to lower the price.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Sounds like a dud to me. $6k is money for a good car without issues. This one sounds like a neglected or abused beater.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Gee, right rear tire is bald, hmmm how could that happen? RUN from this heap!
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I just finished up a trailing arm job due to my right rear tire getting chewed up. Its definitely a long and not-cheap job. Figure about $500 or so at an independant shop if it needs this. As said before, there is no adjustment for the rears.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Quote Originally Posted by NimbleCow
    - SRS Light came on and eventually went off after driving for a few minutes.
    My car has been doing this every time and every day for the last 4 years... Is it a potential problem?

Jeff
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

Hey Nimblecow, where are you from?
    If these are US dollars then it's steep, if Aussie dollars then cheap!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast