GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new manual transmission has a crack in the casing - I don't know what to do.

Default My new manual transmission has a crack in the casing - I don't know what to do.

I paid $250 to have someone install my transmission (remanufactured from Vines) today only to find a hairline crack in the rear of the housing, near where the exhaust hanger attaches.

After all the money I paid in labor, I really, really don't want to pay to pull the transmission again. I figure I can either -

1 - pay to have/pull the transmission myself, ship back to vines, wait, get new one, do all over again

2 - find someone whom can weld aluminum and have them try to seal up the crack.

3 - use some transmission stopleak product. These are usually not recommended for automatic transmissions, but I can't see how it would hurt a manual gearbox.

I really need some advice on this, I'm so upset with this damn transmission I don't know what to think anymore. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed at the build quality of Vines rebuilt transmissions.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

the crack is causing the fluid to leak, about 1 drop per 4-5 seconds

JB Weld!!!
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

Pull it.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

tranny stop leak is for leaking seals, it makes them swell up and temporarily stop leaking, your choices for not pulling it out is live with it or drain it clean it clean it some more and after you clean it up clean it again and jb weld it
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred,

Thanks for the tips. I cant live with the leak, its leaking a consistant amount pretty quickly. If you think JB weld will hold the leak, wouldn't an aluminum weld hold better? Ill try the JB weld tomorrow.

I'd contact Vines to make sure they'll take it back if need be with JB weld on it.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

a real weld would be best if done properly (no pitting or other nastyness from a underskilled welder), people sneer at jb weld but the oil pan in my e30 has been jb'd for almost 84k miles without a drop and the oil pan gets a **** load hotter then a tranny, as long as the crack is stable as in not growing/moving/flexing jb will seal it with proper surface prep

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    Winfred,

Thanks for the tips. I cant live with the leak, its leaking a consistant amount pretty quickly. If you think JB weld will hold the leak, wouldn't an aluminum weld hold better? Ill try the JB weld tomorrow.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

JB weld is amazing. Drain the trans and JB weld it. If that fails, the only thing left is to have it TIG'd. But welding cast aluminum is a bitch and can warp it.

I'll throw in another good word for JB weld. Patched a magnesium motorcycle case that took a rock and drained the trans fluid. The hole was so large I had to use a soda can. JB weld has held that aluminum can to the magnesium case for 6 years now, not a drop has leaked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast