GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obscure question about oil filter housing

Default Obscure question about oil filter housing

Hey guys, I am looking to powder coat my oil filter housing this weekend. I am going to stuff tin foil in any opening that can't get bead blast in it as well as mask everything off. However, I have to bake the part at 400F to cure the power, but I am worried about one thing. My friend said that there may valves inside the oil filter housing to prevent oil drain back or such, and that said valves may have rubber in them. Does anyone know if there is any rubber valves/seals INSIDE the oil filter housing? I cannot locate anything in RealOEM but then again, the oil filter housing itself is not really a serviceable part.

If anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jon

Doesn't the operating oil temp reach about that (maybe higher)?? Good luck
    Build: 10/89, 535im, Island Green, 189k

Operating temperature of the oil reaches about 250F peak I believe.

usually not much more then the coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Operating temperature of the oil reaches about 250F peak I believe.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I'd take a stab that the oli O rings are Viton or Nitril at least .....thay could withstand the 400 temps.
    But in all fairness.....if they have part numbers available, I'd replace them just to cover the base from age and removal.
    .........Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

there certainly are o-rings inside the canister, unfortunately. if it were me, i'd seek an alternative, but if winfred doesn't object, i guess you can.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    there certainly are o-rings inside the canister, unfortunately. if it were me, i'd seek an alternative, but if winfred doesn't object, i guess you can.
    I cannot find anything on RealOEM regarding PNs for o rings etc, so I dunno

Try a search of the forum - somebody ran a "how to" on repairing a defective check valve about 2 years ago - the pix should answer your question.

jon....there was that guy, akhil, i believe, that used to post here, and talked about an o-ring inside of the m50 canister that was "not serviceable" according to bmw. he had to source an o ring replacement for it or such.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

There were 2 styles of e34 535i oil cannisters with the latter one being an upgrade to the check valve that prevents drainback when parked. Mine was the newer style and the check valve was all metal. The pic's I posted should still be somewhere here in the archives back around August '05.

It was "Adnan" that attempted a fix and I think he ended up buying a new cannister. His old one had a plastic check valve in it. There's also some info on Bruno's page. I helped Tom O with his many years ago. I forget the details but basically the plastic nub in the check valve wore and needed a skim cut.

Can you bake the paint at a lower temp? Maybe 250F or so for a longer time. I'd be reluctant to push it to 400F if there's any sort of plastic or rubber inside.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast