GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Does a failing wheel bearing sound like a chirp?

Default Does a failing wheel bearing sound like a chirp?

I am getting an intermittent chirping noise that changes in frequency with the speed. It is coming from my right rear wheel. I took the wheel off and when I turn the hub, I can hear a faint noise. It seems to be once with every revolution, but it is so faint when I do this I may be missing some.

Could this be the early stages of a failing bearing? Do you think it would be safe to drive the car, or should I dry dock it until I can get the problem resolved?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Default The change in frequency is not the tone of the sound,

but the pace at which the sound occurs. I can only hear it when driving in town, but the tone of the sound does not seem to change much, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    I am getting an intermittent chirping noise that changes in frequency with the speed. It is coming from my right rear wheel. I took the wheel off and when I turn the hub, I can hear a faint noise. It seems to be once with every revolution, but it is so faint when I do this I may be missing some.

Could this be the early stages of a failing bearing? Do you think it would be safe to drive the car, or should I dry dock it until I can get the problem resolved?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

does it happen when power is applied, or when its off, or all of the time? i think one of my cv joints is dry because it will groan a little at certain speeds, as well as FULL lock turns in the direction of the suspect unit. if its all the time/power off, its probably a wheel bearing, power on--cv joint. can you introduce "play" into the wheel with it off the ground?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default The noise occurs at all times, but it is currently so soft,

that it is drowned out by traffice noise, etc. much of the time. However, I have tried coasting when I hear the sound and the sound is still there. Even when I apply brake pressure, the sound is there.

I haven't tried to see if I can introduce any play into the wheel.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    does it happen when power is applied, or when its off, or all of the time? i think one of my cv joints is dry because it will groan a little at certain speeds, as well as FULL lock turns in the direction of the suspect unit. if its all the time/power off, its probably a wheel bearing, power on--cv joint. can you introduce "play" into the wheel with it off the ground?

Default Frequently they do chirp Dick, almost like a bird...I haven't

seen one fail bad yet though...so I wouldn't get too concerned about not driving it. I don't think i would go on any 130 mph blasts on the highway though but for normal driving i wouldn't worry that much.. Check the wheel for play when you have it up in the air, grab the top and bottom of the tire and push-pull to see how loose the bearing is.. I had one on a front wheel drive nissan last week that I could move almost 2 inches and the driver hadn't noticed anything except the tires were wearing extremely rapidly on the edges from the tire fluttering around...

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Default Thanks, Bill. I had never heard one chirp before.

I am not certain that I can even get my 525i up to 130 mph anymore. Although I haven't tried it since I put on the Throwing Stars I bought from Micah. They certainly look fast, so maybe........

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    seen one fail bad yet though...so I wouldn't get too concerned about not driving it. I don't think i would go on any 130 mph blasts on the highway though but for normal driving i wouldn't worry that much.. Check the wheel for play when you have it up in the air, grab the top and bottom of the tire and push-pull to see how loose the bearing is.. I had one on a front wheel drive nissan last week that I could move almost 2 inches and the driver hadn't noticed anything except the tires were wearing extremely rapidly on the edges from the tire fluttering around...