GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: GM 4T60E auto box problem - help question for the transmission gurus

Default OT: GM 4T60E auto box problem - help question for the transmission gurus

Hi gang,

One of my co-workers has had a problem with the auto box in his van. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thevehicle in question: 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport / 3.8l / 4T60-E transaxle / 90,000 miles. Text from the owner:

"This past weekend, we were stopped at an intersection where encroaching trees blocked the view, so I had crept out a check for traffic. As it turned out, there was traffic coming, so I shifted into reverse to pull back a bit. At that point it seemed like we backed into something (there was a big "wham" and a jolt), and then there was only a sick buzzing noise (the vehicle would not move). The traffic had cleared, so I tried to go forward in D. This seemed OK until the 1-2 upshift, then came the same buzzing noise again and the forward thrust went away. We got home by keeping it in 1st gear and creeping. Listening to the vehicle in park, there is no "dry pump" whining noise, but there is the sound of something loose getting spun around. Engine heat had risen slightly above normal.

In hindsight, there had been a couple of "warning" signs. The weekend before last, the van stalled as I was shifting from D to P. At the time I thought I had snagged the keys and had shut the ignition off with the gear shift (everything seemed fine after that). Later that day, there seemed to be a small impact coincident with the 1-2 shift, but I thought I had hit a rock on the road.

I would say that the vehicle has been used properly (but I may not be speaking for my wife in this regard - she may be guilty of "goosing" the vehicle when going from R to D without pausing)."

time for a rebuild, probably a broken clutch basket from his reverse drop. has to be opened up, no other option.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks Jeff,

He says he didn't dump it in reverse but the wife's habitual "neutral drops" probably did it in.

Cheers,

Anthony