GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ///M5 sweeps awards at local Porsche/BMW chapter meet

Default The ///M5 sweeps awards at local Porsche/BMW chapter meet

Ever now and again you should listen to your children. There was a meet between the local Porsche/BMW car club chapters for their annual spring Show'n Shine at the Furrows vinyards in El Paso Illinois this past Saturday. My kids were begging me to take the M5 to the show, so I signed up Thursday night, and left for the show Saturday morning.

BMW of Peoria had brought over an X3, a 545 and a Z4 for everyone to drive and admire. (That 545 is quite nice)

Significant others that didn't share the same appreciation for the marques, could tour the winery and sample the toils of the vinyard.

There were about 9 Porsches and over a dozen BMW's at the show. The Porsche owners were to pick their favorite BMW and vise-versa. That's how the voting took place. Then everybody voted for the "Peoples Choice".

Imagine my suprise when the ///M5 not only won "Best BMW" , but also won the "Peoples Choice" award.

There were some great looking automobiles there, and it gave me a chance to show off the ///M5's engine and of course, in the trunk, was the coveted ///M5 brochure that Quentin sent to be used on occasions like this. Everyone loved it. Especially the drivers shot of the interior with the steering wheel on the right side. Very cool indeed. Thanks Quentin, wherever you are.....=)

It was a great time, met some very nice people and got to drive the winner home in the rain that started immediately after the show.....=)

Just wanted to share with you guys that even the Porsche people think the E34 is a timeless line.

Jr

Default GREAT Jr!! I'm sure that the Porsche crowd....

...could fully appreciate the magnificence of your beauty! Did ya get a trophy? A cool plaque??? A case of Cabernet or two???

Congratulations.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

I did buy a couple of bottles of their famous Vino, and that helped pay off some of the votes I bought...=)

The ///M5 came home with TWO plaques and after the rain, the dirtest it's ever been....=) (we fixed that early this morning) =)

Wow, that is great. Congratulations on your awards. I know that your car deserves it. I cannot wait to see it again at this year's Midwest e34 Summer Meet on August 7th!
    Brandon J

Default Yeah right

I would love to see a photo of the dirty M5 jr...Congrats are due..That //M5 doesnt clean itself does it?Did you drive the 545?I bet the engine is so smooth and torquey..a variable valve timed 4.5 v8...phew.Even a 1.8 toyota with variable valve timing is has good low down torque(relatively speaking)
    Gone but not forgotten

Others took the 545 out for a spin, it was equipped with SMG shifting. After driving the E46 M3 at the autocross a few weeks ago, I really didn't need to drive the 545 for fear of liking it too much. Although it's going to take quite a bit to get used to the headlight area and the slab sides of the new five, not to mention the trunk lines. If you stop and look closely, the body sides come down to within about 5 inches from the ground.

One of the Porsche owners said, "For what they want for a new 545, I would go for a used M5 instead" This came from a guy who brought a new 996 to the show......hmmmm, maybe he wishes secretly for an M5.....=)

Congratz, Jr! That must be a nice car! Have any pics posted?

And - btw - I'm pretty sure that deep down inside, EVERYBODY wants an M5. Even if they don't know what an M5 is yet.
    Ex-Calypso Red 540i owner

Of course the right car/man one. Only reinforces what everybody knows, your M5 is not only the finest car on this board but is hard to beat.
    Congratulations!...that had to feel good in such "fast" company.
    George
    90 735iL/149k...no M5 :-)

Default Wow! Congrats Jr (m)

I can't count how many E34 friends I've talked to about your M5 and tried to convey how nice it is. It is one of the few cars that looks better in person than in pictures (it looks unbelievable in pictures) ..........and I've had the pleasure of putting my foot in it .......shhhhhhhh

Hope to see you soon
    Scott

Default Congratulations JR, i wouldn't be in any doubt that it would win based on

the photos i've seen and the care you put into it at the body shop..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast