GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chattering Wipers

Default Chattering Wipers

Hello all,

This problem has driven me for awhile, but with all the rain lately, I would really like to resolve it. My driver's side wiper will wipe the water clean on the "up-stroke" but on the way down it skips on the windsheild leaving lines of water. It did this with the old wiper inserts that came with the car when I bought it, and continues to happen (driver's side only....still) with the new BMW OE inserts I got from the dealer. Is there something else to adjust/fix that can stop the chattering?

Oh btw it chatters in any amount of rain. It could be misting or pouring, and it will still chatter.

Thanks

Does the lower end of the blade sit properly between the guide arms?

Generally that's because the blade is not sitting perpendicular to the glass. If it chatters on the down-stroke even with a new insert, then you'll need to lift the arm and swing the blade out perpendicular to the arm (in a "T"), and use the leverage of the blade to twist the arm clockwise (a little) which should change the angle where the blade meets the glass. See if that helps.

BMW has a special tool for the correct adjustment.
    But you can make a tool out of a cheap school protractor. Find the cheapest small one in the softest plastic, if the plastic is too brittle then it'll be more difficult to cut. Cut it down at the 87deg mark with a stanley knife, run it along a file to make sure the edge is clean and flat, then check the angle is correct against another protractor (or the other half that's been cut off).

Bend the wiper so that it stands 87 degree against the window glass.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-20-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks guys, later today I will go fight the holiday traffic to pick up a protractor. woohoo

Somewhere I saw posted the angle needed. I cut and glued a protractor to help me the next time which is NOW! When I get thome ths evening I plan to change my blades and check angle.

OOPs, Just saw Shogun posted the required angle.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Majority of the chattering is because the blade itself is worn. Blades should be changed every 4 years. If you just wiggle the joints at every rivets, you will see what I mean... so loose... and if you try that on new one... none.

My suggestion is to buy Bosch Microedge of the same size from Pep Boys and alike and install them. The catalog won't list which one as Bosch has an agreement with BMW not to sell replacement. So just measure it with a tape and buy the right size.

I have the same EXACT problem, and it doesn't fit between the little guide things on the arm... Also, my arm hook is rusted, check that too because it seems to be loose.

Thanks for the tool hint though, I think I'll try that as well when I get a new drivers side wiper.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

The tool is shown here, where I asked once more, and also see TIS Bulletin 610889 dated June 1992
    http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/...p?topic=4515.0

If someone cannot enter the 7resource.co.uk, because one has to register first, maybe someone who can, can copy and post the images here with imageshack.
    Otherwise I will do it this evening
    Thanks

ohh, and the TIS says ONLY the E32 angle should be 87 degrees, while the one from the E34 should be 84 degrees.
    Better read that TIS in the link.
    And the BMW tool has the # 88 88 600 9210 and has the measure for E32 and E34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast